PDA

View Full Version : Intel farm. Do we need the UB version?

Mr. Black
12-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I've been reading the posts concerning the impending release of a ub version of 9, and so will delay getting the big mac workstation for now. My question is, if you connected a bunch of intel imacs together as a farm, used some kind of render controller (any of the ones out there) would it matter that it was the non ub version being used with the intel chips? If the imac is a remote node just used for calculations, does that negate the problem?
Cheers
Jeff

Sarford
12-05-2006, 05:36 PM
I guess not since screamernet still has to run through rosetta...

Scazzino
12-05-2006, 07:11 PM
If you run the current non-UB LWSN on Mac OS X, on an Intel Mac, it will run through Rosetta translation, and render slowly... Once the UB LWSN is out, then it'll render at full speed.

:thumbsup:

Scazzino
12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
You could of course use Apple's Boot camp to boot the iMacs into Windows and run the Windows version of LWSN at full speed, at least until the UB is ready. You'd need to use a third party controller if you want to control the Windows nodes from another Mac OS X machine though, since the built-in controller doesn't handle cross platform file path remapping... and you'd need a copy of Windows for each iMac...

Mr. Black
12-06-2006, 07:37 AM
So, when did they say that UB version was coming out?...

Sarford
12-06-2006, 09:03 AM
hahaha :D

Phil
12-06-2006, 09:06 AM
When it's ready(TM)(R)

I get the impression that UB is a major focus and needs time to get sorted out. Bear in mind also that, if you use compiled (.p) 3rd party plugins, the UB won't work with them - you'll need new versions. That could hurt many, depending on how active the developers are.

Mr. Black
12-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Aren't there some 3rd party render controllers out there? I think I've heard tell of some other ones. That might negate the intel issue. Or, if I installed Windows on all of the minis, and pulled one out to be the controller (also with Windows. No cross platform then) Is there something in the pc world like "Chicken of the VNC" that I could use to monitor the system?

Phil
12-06-2006, 10:19 AM
TightVNC is your Windows option.

hdace
12-06-2006, 04:40 PM
just left you a message on "boot camp wow"

dwburman
12-08-2006, 08:22 AM
There is also just plain old VNC. I used that on windows several years ago :)

Aren't there some 3rd party render controllers out there? I think I've heard tell of some other ones. That might negate the intel issue. Or, if I installed Windows on all of the minis, and pulled one out to be the controller (also with Windows. No cross platform then) Is there something in the pc world like "Chicken of the VNC" that I could use to monitor the system?

In my experience, it's easier to set up screamernet on windows than on the Mac. Render controllers don't seem quite as mandator, but they do add many useful features (like being able to add a scene while rendering another). That's not to say that setting up a render farm isn't without headaches... especially for the first time.

If you just want to build a windows render farm, I'd not bother with the iMacs. Windows boxes are cheaper since you wouldn't need the built in flat panel display.

Have you considered MacMinis? They might not have the horse power you want though.

I tried a couple of mac render controllers on this MacPro I'm using and they didn't work. I assume it's a rosetta issue, but I'm not sure. They just disappeared when I ran them.