PDA

View Full Version : Render Outlines...

LaughingVulcan
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Guys/Gals:
Another silly question...

I'm doing an animation of an Aston Martin coupe for a website in 8.5. My boss wants the car to segue from solid surfaces to wireframes during the 150 frames. Now, we rendered out one animation in wires & one with surfaces, with the intent of compositing them in another program. My boss then asked, "Can you do the segue in Lightwave?"

I know about Surface editor Advanced Tab Render outlines button & the Line Size envelope button...but it would seem to indicate that wires are either ON or OFF. I currently have the line size set for 1.5, and when I tried adjusting the envelope to GET the solid surface...it didn't work.

Any suggestions? The 2,000+ pg manual really didn't help me any here...
:lightwave

kopperdrake
12-05-2006, 11:31 AM
You could render out one of the passes, then bring it back in mapped to a poly as a front projection map in the foreground that gradually fades over the other pass.

There'll be loads of ways to do this I'm sure :)

toby
12-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Why doesn't he want you to comp it? That's like saying you should do editing in LW.

Take your 2 image sequences that you've already rendered, make one the background image and put the other on a polygon, then fade out the polygon.

kopperdrake
12-06-2006, 02:30 AM
Sounds like his boss doesn't want to invest in a compositing package. I guess it depends on how much compositing they're going to need but I've found it pays for itself when clients decide to change the colour of just one element or similar. False economy if that's the case:)

toby
12-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Here's a free compositing app ~
http://www.jahshaka.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=46

Sarford
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
buy shake, only 500 quid and bucket loads of fun

LaughingVulcan
12-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Toby: Thanks for the link. I tried downloading & installing on my Mac OSX, but it refuses to launch...[shrugs] I'll keep fiddling & see if I can get it working...and my boss was figuring it would save out website construction guy some time...

kopperdrake: I'm trying your and Toby's suggestion now. I think that MIGHT be the ticket...I'll let you know Monday if I got it to work...

Be well, all...and have a good weekend.:) :D

toby
12-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Jahshaka worked fine for me, maybe reinstall it?

Keep in mind before you buy Shake, it's down to $500 because there will be no more updates, and support will end. They're doing something like merging it with Motion or some other apps.

LaughingVulcan
12-14-2006, 10:33 AM
:cursin: :grumpy: :bangwall:

Just when I get the fraggin' thing to work...the client decides to drop that sequence from the website.

Gotta remember: He pays the bills...He pays the bills...

Guys, again...Thank you for the help. Even though it wasn't used...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: