PDA

View Full Version : Help, my motion blur doesn't work!

Sarford
12-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi all,

I must be doing something wrong here cause my motion blur doesn't work. No mater what camera I use or filtering level, it just doesn't render MB.
Can somebody tell me what I am overlooking?

thanks, Simon

Sensei
12-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Did you try Enhanced Medium AA and without adaptive AA? I assume you have fast moving objects in the frame that you're tring to render? :)

Sensei
12-05-2006, 07:47 AM
I see that you're rendering the last 18 frame.. Does motion blur appear in previous frames no problem? If so, you will need to add new frames after 18 frame with new keys, because LW might think it's the end of movement..

RudySchneider
12-05-2006, 09:02 AM
That looks like the Render > Render Globals dialog box. Did you remeber to click "Use Global" in the Camera Properties dialog box?

hdace
12-05-2006, 10:20 AM
That looks like the Render > Render Globals dialog box. Did you remeber to click "Use Global" in the Camera Properties dialog box?

Yeah, the render status window clearly states that motion blur is off. That is because it is turned off in the camera properties.

This is a very easy mistake since version 9. My opinion is that it is completely insane to put the same "preference" item on two different preference panes. And the manual does not clearly state how they relate to one another. You have to figure it out yourself.

That's if you even notice that the same darn thing is in 2 different places in the first place.

What were they thinking?

Sarford
12-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the reply guys :)

@Sensei: Did try Enhanced Medium AA and no AA, still no MB

@Sensei: its frame 18 from a 1-40 motion (1440 degree rotation)

@RudySchneider: Render globals IS checked in the camera display... yet....

If I enable MB in the camera properties EVENTHOUGH 'Use Global' is checked AND MB is on in the global render panel, then it works :confused: (see pictures, 'use Global' IS checked here although you can't see it now)

hmmm, I'm not one to complain about bugs quickly but this seems like one.
Anyhow, thanks for your help guys :thumbsup: it realy helped me solve the problem!

shrox
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah, the render status window clearly states that motion blur is off. That is because it is turned off in the camera properties.

This is a very easy mistake since version 9. My opinion is that it is completely insane to put the same "preference" item on two different preference panes. And the manual does not clearly state how they relate to one another. You have to figure it out yourself.

That's if you even notice that the same darn thing is in 2 different places in the first place.

What were they thinking?

It seems like 3DMax thinking is creeping in.

Dave Jerrard
12-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the reply guys :)

@Sensei: Did try Enhanced Medium AA and no AA, still no MB

@Sensei: its frame 18 from a 1-40 motion (1440 degree rotation)

@RudySchneider: Render globals IS checked in the camera display... yet....

If I enable MB in the camera properties EVENTHOUGH 'Use Global' is checked AND MB is on in the global render panel, then it works :confused: (see pictures, 'use Global' IS checked here although you can't see it now)

hmmm, I'm not one to complain about bugs quickly but this seems like one.
Anyhow, thanks for your help guys :thumbsup: it realy helped me solve the problem!
My advice is to not use those render global settings. In my opinion, they only add to confusion, as you've noticed. You CANNOT tell from looking at the Render Globals panel, WHAT settings are actually being used. You have to jump to the Camera Panel to see if they're being used or not. But you can't adjust them from there. And to make things worse, some settings, like AA, use the settings from whichever panel you adjusted something in last.

Nope, this was a bad idea that probably sounded good on paper. But in practice, I wish it was something I could delete with a config editor. I don't use them, and yet, they're always in my face. I've already lost count of the number of times I inadvertently tried to change a camera setting without realizing I wasn't on the right panel - yet those changes were updating Layout, even though they weren't going to be used for rendering.

He Who Would Like To See Those Globals Disappear Somehow.