PDA

View Full Version : uhhh... auto UV creation for boxes... is this correct?

eblu
12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
today I thought I'd make a box and save save myself a headache by telling modeler to automatically make the UVs for me... and then i looked at what it makes.

modeler makes a cylinder map, for a box!!! What? is this correct?

why even bother making a feature like that? theres no value added at all. It is exactly the worst kind of mapping to use with a box, and I could do better than that in 5 mouse clicks.

isn't there any way to make a smart UV map for a box, that gives the user, all of the polys as flat and undistorted as possible? Seams are very acceptable. its the mapping of the rounded corners that are a nightmare. This is doing Nothing for your reputation.

toby
12-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Figgered I'd try it for the first time, but I CAN"T. Gives me an error no matter what I do.

Anyway - an Atlas map should do you.

eblu
12-05-2006, 08:32 AM
toby,
um... no
if I was making a simple box then yes, an atlas map would be fine. But my box needed rounded corners. I know its picky of me to use rounded corners but the only thing I can say for myself is that every Box found in the real world has SOME amount of rounding on its corners. An Atlas map on That box makes a mess of it. If perhaps the atlas mapping was more... aware of normals, made some effort to keep polys in scale, in some sort of logical order, and actually editing UVs wasn't a nightmare (in LW) then maybe an atlas map would "do me".

as it was, I made a box without rounded corners... atlas mapped it, unwelded the polys, scaled each one down a little, and then Built rounded corners in a different layer by hand. UV mapped them there (planar, and then carefully placed them in the UV coord system, saving after each and every xform because of the rampant crashes), merged the layers, and then the points. By all accounts, too much work to get what the auto UV tool SHOULD have done in the first place.

Sarford
12-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Texturing is always a pain and I try to avoid it like the plague whenever I can, but maybe you should take a look at the exelent UV-texturing tutorials made by Robin Wood.

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWTutSet.html

Called UV mapping on the left menu (scroll down)