PDA

View Full Version : Why does the bend tool suck so much?

hrgiger
12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
*Rant Mode*
So, I guess the bend tool is like a box of choclates, you never know what you're gonna get. Some days I can't seem to bend a piece of geometry with it. Bend tools in other packages can't be this bad, are they? I mean, we're doing some pretty amazing stuff with graphics software these days, can't a bend tool work reliably?

I've set my falloff, I'm moving in the direction I want the mesh to bend(even tried it in every viewport) and most times it just turns into a conch shell. Pretty, but not very useful now if I can't make the shape I'm after. Then other times, it works just fine. It's a wee bit touchy, reminds me of a few ex-girlfriends.
*Rant Mode Off*

Thank you.

UnCommonGrafx
12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Use the spline guide. MUCH MUCH better.

Silkrooster
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
I find there are times when spline guide don't perform like it should, for example wrapping around a disk. Bend seams to perform better at keep the original shape.
I almost think that spline guide worked better in 8.5 than 9, but don't quote me on that.
Silk

zardoz
12-05-2006, 02:55 AM
it does suck....that's why I use c_bend from pictrix...

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Cbend/index.html

1st - have your shape to be bent in the foreground
2nd - create a curve in the background layer
3rd - choose two points in an axis in the object to be bent
4th - start the plugin
5th - choose (as an example) "scale mode" - stretch, "position" - curve and "connect points"

note: the points of the "axis" you choose will be used to 'follow' the curve, so imagine you have a pipe and you want the middle of the pipe to follow the curve, just select the points from the axis you want and extrude them.

et voilá!

play with the other settings.

And you can bend in 3d too, just move the curve points in all axis...

spec24
12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
with the number of posts like this, soon we'll all be using 3rd party plugins to circumvent all the tools that come with lightwave until lightwave no longer exists, just a bunch of third party plugins :D

GregMalick
12-06-2006, 10:26 AM
with the number of posts like this, soon we'll all be using 3rd party plugins to circumvent all the tools that come with lightwave until lightwave no longer exists, just a bunch of third party plugins :D
well, guys.... you heard it here first. :hey:

JamesCurtis
12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
HMMM, sounds like another app most of us know!