PDA

View Full Version : Flushed away.

starbase1
12-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Saw this animated film last night, and I have to say it's been a long time since I laughed so much in the cinema. It helps if you like toilet humour, as the bulk of the film is set quite literally down the toilet in the sewers of London.

I was slightly dubious about the idea - it is a CGI film, (hence mentioning it here) but done in the Ardman style, (and I did not like Chicken Run much - clever, but not very funny).

But the CGI version of plasicine figures works surprisingly well - (I suspect they did it this way at least partly because plasticine water is never going to look convincing).

There are a huge number of references to other films in there, and I suspect it will seriously repay repeated viewing to catch the fine details. There is a whole slew of great running gags involving groups of slugs singing in close harmony, (watch for the swipe at Lady & the Tramp), and the characterisation is superb. The group of frog assasins make every obvious french joke in the book, but it's still hilarious.

Graphically its not that stunning, partly because it is not going for anything like realism - but the CGI claymation has done a great job of preserving the look and feel.

Nick

Wonderpup
12-04-2006, 11:14 AM
The thing that's put me off this film is that the lead character really reminds me of tony blair- it's totally irrational I know. Reading your review I might give it a second look. ( Not that I've got anything particularly against blair- I even voted for him once- it's just distracting.)