PDA

View Full Version : Stick with 8.5 or Upgrade to 9.x?

jhogarty
12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi,

I'm just a hobbyist but am getting back into using Lightwave. I currently am using 8.5 on a Dual G5. I also have a MacBook Pro and understand the UB version is not ready yet.

Is it worth upgrading to version 9? I'm looking for stability. Since switching from the PC world to my Mac I've been experiencing more frequent crashes when trying to render.

Thanks,

John...

harlan
12-03-2006, 07:22 PM
The Mac is a rock solid system, but Lightwave has never been altogether that stable when running on the Mac. NewTek have really put in an effort towards making Lightwave stable on the Mac, and v9 is by far the most stable version of Lightwave to date.

I would recommend upgrading to 9 as you've already made the investment in purchasing Lightwave; you might as well keep it up to date, unless of course you plan on ditching LW or something. Upgrading to LW9 will give you a free update to the Universal Binary when it's finally ready, which should be considerably more stable than 8.5 (fingers crossed) and you'll be able to run it natively on your MacBook Pro as well as your G5.

If you do go with the upgrade to 9 (which I highly recommend doing) and you want to run it on your MacBook Pro, I'd suggest running it via Bootcamp & WinXP until the UB version is complete, as LW under rosetta is quite finicky and crash prone. You'll be able to run LW9 on your G5 right out of the box, however, and you'll be able to take advantage of the added stability v9 offers over v8.5

Don't get me wrong, LW on the Mac is nowhere near as stable as it is on the PC, but NewTek is working hard to make it rock solid, and 9 is much better than previous versions. Hopefully the XCode, Universal Binary, version of Lightwave will be available soon.

Hope that helps...

jhogarty
12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the input Harlan. I'll give them a call tomorrow and order my upgrade.

J.

harlan
12-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Anytime man. I'm sure you'll enjoy v9. The new features are great, and the increased stability really add to the value of the upgrade - not to mention the free upgrade to the UB when it ships (which will hopefully bring us Mac users the stability we deserve).

You can always use WinXP for the time being as well.

enjoy.

Chilton
12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi Harlan,

...not to mention the free upgrade to the UB when it ships (which will hopefully bring us Mac users the stability we deserve).

It will bring many things, and stability is among those ;-)

-Chilton

harlan
12-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey Chilton,

Yeah, that's the word on the grapevine. I'm really looking forward to the UB version. We actually just replaced all of our PPC Mac's with Intel Mac's as it's time to move on from the PPC days. I kept a G5 machine to keep banging on the Mac LW version until the UB ships. So bring on the dancing horses!! :)

Jirapong
12-04-2006, 11:01 AM
I just bought V9 upgrade and I deeply regret on my decision.

The UB, I believe, is on high demand and will not be release until the next version. That would mean paying more to get UB version.

I would think you are better wait until the next version, 10 or I highly recommend to go with Blender and you can use Wing3D or your old LW8 for modelling. Blender is FREE and has UB version. Because it is free, so there is no marketing or money luring involved. Yeah, the interface is quit diffeent, but after a week, I got it and feel it is very reasonable.

If you still want LW9, I didn't install my copy yet. So, it can be cheap.

Jirapong

Chilton
12-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi,

The UB, I believe, is on high demand and will not be release until the next version. That would mean paying more to get UB version.

Paying more? No way! The UB will be a free upgrade for all v9 users, and will be released to the Open Beta group as soon as it's ready.

And yes, that will be very soon.

-Chilton

jhogarty
12-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Placed my order - a Christmas present to myself! :-)

Although I'm a hobbyist, I've been along for the ride with Newtek since 1996 I believe. Also have a VT4 though it doesn't get much play. Speaking of which - Mac Version of Toaster? Or at least a driver for the board so I can use with Final Cut? :-)

As much as I really want a UB version, I will have my G5 for a while - at least another year. The dongle is like gold so I rarely let it leave my house, ie for use with my MacBook Pro.

Anyways, thanks for those who responded. After I install v9 I will try the two scenes/models that are giving me trouble. If they still don't work, I will curse you all - just kidding. But I will be back looking for advice on a work around perhaps.

Thanks,

J...

harlan
12-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Congrats John, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It is a lot more stable than previous generations; whether or not it'll fix your specific problem remains to be seen, but you can at least get work done in it!!

If it gives you trouble, just bootcamp over into WinXP and run it from there. It's mucho stableo under XP.

kfinla
12-04-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm still hangin out on the fence.. just using LW8 for modelling at the moment. I'll probably make a move to 9 or not after the UB and 9.2 is out.. hopefully with some new features like Chilton aluded to.

Waitin for some Worley updates also..

jhogarty
12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Just a quick update. I received my LW9 this afternoon. Installed, and loaded up my trouble maker scene. Rendered a frame and not only did it work, but it was very fast! Definately a good start!

My only gripe is I don't like the new shortcut icons. Need to change those to the ones that came with version 8. :-)

John...