PDA

View Full Version : Importing External Files

rakennedy75
06-16-2003, 03:32 PM
This is probably an easy fix, but I am new to lightwave and am trying to import files from Carrara.

Unfortunately I am only on version 6 so i have to use classic mode for Lightwave and I use OSX for Carrara. I tried a number of different formats but it seems to give me an error every time i try and import a file.

Some of the formats is dxf, wavefront 3d studio and a couple others.

This is how I am trying to import it:

1. animation mode : add -- load object
2. animation mode : open scene
3. modeler mode: file -- load object
4 modeler mode: file -- open object

All these give an error saying something like: error reading file.

Could it be something to do with OSX vs. Classic Mode
Or am I importing completely wrong??

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

Beamtracer
06-16-2003, 05:21 PM
The two sides of Lightwave are generally referred to as 'Modeler' and 'Layout'.

I think it's better to use Modeler to import foreign object formats, as then you can immediately save them in Lightwave format for future use.

I've never used Carrara, but .3ds usually imports OK from other applications.

I can't see what might be going wrong there. I don't know why you use Classic emulation mode... that seems rather bizarre, though I don't think it would affect the importation of models.

Some years ago Newtek offered Mac OS9 Lightwave 6 users a free downloadable upgrade to OS X. I can't see any reason to run LW6 in Classic.

noiseboy
06-17-2003, 01:52 AM
The version upgrade can still be found on Newtek's FTP server. It works on os x. The only upgrade issue is if you dont have a USB dongle ( I cant remember where they came in), the cost of exchanging the dongle is pretty low.

Beamtracer
06-17-2003, 05:21 AM
OS X is certified to run on any Apple machine from the Blue & White G3s onwward. Basically any OS X machine also has a USB port. That's why it doesn't make sense to run Lightwave on Mac OS X in "Classic" (emulation) mode.

I got my USB dongle in the OS 9 days, and it still works fine under OS X.

Hmmm. I don't mean to be personal here, but can I assume you have a dongle? Don't worry, I won't ask what size it is :D

Warez copies of Lightwave don't come with a dongle. :eek:

toby
06-17-2003, 02:42 PM
hmmm..."new to lightwave" yet "I am only on version 6" and "i have to use classic mode for Lightwave"... had me thinking too... don't worry, we're not judgmental ... we just wouldn't help you :D, esp. on Newtek's own website