PDA

View Full Version : LW9 hub, modeler to layout crashes...

SaturnX
12-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi.
For a good while, in v8.5 when i'd make changes to geometry or even adding surfaces... then going back into layout after making the changes, layout would 75-90% of the time crash.

It's the same with v9, if not worse. Sometimes, if i give modeler about 20-30 secs... to send the relevant changes to layout... and then click layout... it won't crash, but this doesnt always work. It's becoming an unbareable pain in the bum.

If i have made changes to the geometry, or re-organised layers etc, its not just a simple matter of reloading the same scene after it crashes, becasue when reading the object/s in question it wont know the changes even if the object is saved, so you either do it all again in modeler or spend time importing/reorganising layers etc within layout.
The hub seems to operate much better when working with little geometry.
But when working with anything from say, 60k or more... thats when you start to notice the pain.
Worse still when working with only 200k plus, it gets out of hand.
I've been using 3 machines over the past 2 years, and its the same on all of them, at least in regards to the crashes which i presume is the way modeler and layout share data between one another.

My question is, is this a hub problem, or is it my computer ?
Does anyone else have modeler to layout crashes ?
Is the hub gonna stay with lightwave? or go?

Im one of the guys that likes the way modeler and layout are seperate.
Modeler and layout sharing the same space, might be a better way of doing it though. like, (sorry in advance) ... XSI.

Anyway, how are you guys with the hub, and it making Layout crash or not crash whatever the case may be ?

toby
12-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Im one of the guys that likes the way modeler and layout are seperate.
The mark of a great man!

Modeler and layout sharing the same space, might be a better way of doing it though. like, (sorry in advance) ... XSI.

Anyway, how are you guys with the hub, and it making Layout crash or not crash whatever the case may be ?
I'd like to see how XSI does it, I think Newtek is considering some kind of comprimise as well.

Sorry in advance, this is surely not the kind of answer anyone likes. If you have trouble with the Hub, don't use it. I haven't used it for about 4 years, and I'm happier for it; on Mac and PC. I've hot-keyed "Replace with Object File" in order to re-load a model that's been updated, and find the workflow to be equal but more stable to using the Hub. Some people have no trouble with the Hub and keep using it, but people turning it off have overwhelmingly agreed to the added stability, overall; not just when switching back or forth. It is a bit different workflow, but I don't like the way the Hub updates my surfaces from Layout back to modeler anyway, and that you have to be careful and mindful about what you save and from where. With no Hub it's very simple. Update your model, switch to Layout, press your hotkey and hit return.

To turn it off, just move the Hub app out of the Programs folder.

toby
12-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Actualy, I don't want to mislead you, you do have to do some tap-dancing, like when you save an object from Layout, and have to close and reload it in Modeler. But give it a try, a lot of us prefer it anyway.

SaturnX
12-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Actualy, I don't want to mislead you, you do have to do some tap-dancing, like when you save an object from Layout, and have to close and reload it in Modeler. But give it a try, a lot of us prefer it anyway.

A very formative response Toby. Thanks very much!
For some reason, it never actually occured to me to run lightwave without the hub. ;)

Im gonna give it a go.

Thanks again.

toby
12-07-2006, 10:40 PM
And See Them Driven Before You!!

mj418
12-09-2006, 03:04 AM
I love the way Modeler and Layout are separate, but I also love using Hub.
At least I used to, until I started having all kinds of firewall problems. When I was using McAfee firewall, I discovered suddenly one day neither Layout nor Modeler would load, but that could be fixed by disallowing them access, and then re-allowing. Strange, but true.
Then I finally got sick of that, so I uninstalled McAffee Firewall entirely and just used XP's firewall, and never had a problem again.... until this most recent Windows Corrupdate of the other day. After that I couldn't do anything at all to get Layout or Modeler to load, no matter what - except for removing Hub from the Program folder.
I just reverted to right before the "Update" and everything works fine again, but I dunno... all these Hub problems are beginning to outweigh its benefits IMHO.