PDA

View Full Version : Slider Question

prospector
12-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Looking at the slider panel I see no way to tie many settings to 1 slider,

I am trying to set a line of 7 bones to all rotate on Bank on 1 slider
Same for Pitch & Heading.

My problem in case there is another way;

Need bones to rotate total of -90 to 90 on bank, -10 to 90 on Pitch and -30 to 30 on Heading for thier total lenght. Have set limits to do this.

IK has jumpyness so that's out (read in another thread to have 1 channel per bone and split bones to add more than 1 channel) which would give me 21 bones on a 7 bone object (3 channels).

Also 21 sliders (3 channels per bone X 7 bones) takes up much screen realestate unless there is way to only have it in 1 window out of 4.

prospector
12-02-2006, 09:00 AM
thought of good example to help clairafy

A snake is coiled, yet on Bank rotation head stays still yet body can rotate towards tail for total of -90 or 90 degrees without coming out of coiled position.

All bone banks controlled by 1 slider

spec24
12-02-2006, 09:29 AM
This is something I brought up some time ago. Unless this was added in 9, and I haven't checked it out yet, there is no way. It's a bummer.

evenflcw
12-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Expressions and modifiers should still work...

Personally I don't care much for sliders. They have so many usability issues nulls are still a better option imho.

ercaxus
12-02-2006, 01:30 PM
thought of good example to help clairafy

A snake is coiled, yet on Bank rotation head stays still yet body can rotate towards tail for total of -90 or 90 degrees without coming out of coiled position.

All bone banks controlled by 1 slider

You can use PLG plugins for this. They have a twist control.

Sensei
12-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Expressions and modifiers should still work...

Definitely, especially when they will also work in nodes..

Personally I don't care much for sliders. They have so many usability issues nulls are still a better option imho.

You don't have to use them for everything.. :)
Watch this video http://www.steelronin.com/media/mov/SR_rigg.mov they're used for controlling fingers...

SplineGod
12-03-2006, 03:19 AM
I would either just select all the bones using selection sets. You can rotate the heading, pitch or bank at the same time on all of them.
If you want to use a slider to control all the bank channels then all you need to do is create a master channel, create an expression from the master channel and apply the other bank channels to it. The master channel can then be attached to a slider.

prospector
12-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Ya know...I had this deep down gut feeling that the word expressions would be in there somewhere :cry:

SplineGod
12-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Its very simple to do. Heres a sample scene you can look at. :)