PDA

View Full Version : Hooke's Manuscripts

Bog
12-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Here's a render of Robert Hooke's notes during his time as Secretary of the Royal Society.

http://www.imaginetix.co.uk/Images/Hooke1.jpg

This is a still from an animation used in a Turning The Pages Kiosk, so a big old flatscreen that one drags a digit across to Turn The Pages (as it were).

When presented today, one of the Fellows of the Royal Society asked the name of the man who did this. I am unutterably proud that Professor Stephen Hawking wanted to know my name.

Thanks, NewTek.

Bog
12-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh, soz - Robert Hooke's little known, and historically a bit under the weather. He was secretary during the time of Christopher Wren, Isaac Newton and the ilk.

The birth of the Age of Reason. I just cannot express how honoured I am to have this job. The fact that I did a good enough effort on it to have someone like Hawking ask about it... just... eeep.

And what scares me is, this isn't the sexiest bit. I can't talk about that until next year.

What a day :)

Scazzino
12-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Cool stuff Mark!

Can't wait to see the "secret" stuff when you can show it!

:thumbsup:

Bog
12-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Scazzino, have you enetered BlastOff for the Siggraph 2007 Animation Festival yet? And if not, why not?

evenflcw
12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
It looks beautiful and the use of it (big interactive screen!) sounds really cool. Nice story too. Any chance we could see some animation?

kmaas
12-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Boy, I wish I could see the whole setup in person! That's really cool! Congratulations!

Bog
12-01-2006, 04:23 PM
It looks beautiful and the use of it (big interactive screen!) sounds really cool. Nice story too. Any chance we could see some animation?

Absolutely! Just not tonight ;) The animation's done, but I have to mess it up with watermarks and stuff before I can share it. Soz! Soon!

Scazzino
12-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Scazzino, have you enetered BlastOff for the Siggraph 2007 Animation Festival yet? And if not, why not?

Not yet... I sent it to a bunch of festivals as the deadlines came... Siggraph's deadline isn't for a while yet though, and I need to see if I can do anything to satisfy their strange title/credit limit... ;)

RudySchneider
12-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Congratulations, Bog, that is soooo cool! You have every reason to preen.

Dave Jerrard
12-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Here's a render of Robert Hooke's notes during his time as Secretary of the Royal Society.That's some fine work there Bog!

When presented today, one of the Fellows of the Royal Society asked the name of the man who did this. I am unutterably proud that Professor Stephen Hawking wanted to know my name.I can't tell you how completely envious I am of you and that honor! Were you lucky enough to meet him, or was this second hand info? (I hear he's a Quake Master (http://www.mchawking.com/multimedia.php?page_function=mp3z) too)

He Who Reveres Very Few, With Dr. Hawking At The Top Of That List.

colkai
12-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Mark, my dear chap,
I cannot express how delighted I am for you. A great peice of work and well...

Professor Stephen Hawking Is Impressed. I have little else to prove.

Darn tooting, I can imagine you'll be floating around for days after hearing that.
Bravissimo my friend.

Bog
12-02-2006, 04:15 AM
I can't tell you how completely envious I am of you and that honor! Were you lucky enough to meet him, or was this second hand info? (I hear he's a Quake Master (http://www.mchawking.com/multimedia.php?page_function=mp3z) too)

I love that song ;)

I didn't get to tag along for the demo - just being a rent-a-pixel, I miss out on all the schmoozing and hand-shaking and stuff. I don't normally mind, but this time I was gutted! Still, having been asked about by The Hawk Man is... well. Boots shan't touch carpet this side o'New Years.

Lew
12-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Mark,
Unbelieveable!!! How great is that? It is beautiful - and I think you are great - but I'm not going to kiss you.
Lew

parm
12-02-2006, 11:32 AM
That looks fabulous Mark. Congratulations.

I look forward to seeing the animation :thumbsup:

BazC
12-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Beautiful work Bog!

dalang13
12-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Excellent work, sir (as usual)... they don't know how good they have it.

omeone
12-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Bog, that is wonderful, congratulations :)
I should be completley eaten up with jealousy :) but such an association (both manuscript and Prof) is so far beyond my wildest dreams Im just thrilled for you, which is weird since I dont know you from Adam!

starbase1
12-05-2006, 04:36 AM
When presented today, one of the Fellows of the Royal Society asked the name of the man who did this. I am unutterably proud that Professor Stephen Hawking wanted to know my name.

Thanks, NewTek.

Awesome!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bobakabob
12-06-2006, 03:06 AM
Wonderful render - and congrats for the recognition. Any insights on your lighting / rendering? :thumbsup:

zardoz
12-06-2006, 03:33 AM
I tried to follow the link in your site but it doesn't work...:(

amazing work! recently I was reading a book about science history and recently I read the chapter about Hooke...great stuff.

glebe digital
12-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Great work Mark............no words, just perfect!

Bog
12-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Big [email protected] heroes....

(deliberately broken render, just to keep the Soc. covered. You understand. Gotta mind out for my clients...)

http://www.imaginetix.co.uk/QT/hooke.mov

Lookie lookie - I got Hookie!

starbase1
12-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Love the attention to detail with stuff like the sagging spine there, truly awesome.

Iaian7
12-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Gorgeous work. I've come across this project before in some of my ancient manuscript research. Brilliant!

Not to mention, who can resist old books? They're just too darn beautiful...

pixeltek
01-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Hey Mark - Happy New Year...and congrats. That is way cool. You've got your very own niche and are getting ever better at it - and better known, apparently.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com