PDA

View Full Version : Troll Spores (LW > Zbrush)

bobakabob
11-30-2006, 02:43 PM
A 3D doodle using models created in Lightwave and treated and rendered in Zbrush.

(Just bought the latter as a Christmas present to myself and it's a perfect complement to LW. The interface doesn't take long to get the hang of, thanks to Steve Warner's tutorials). Looking forward to trying out some displacements in Layout.

borkus
11-30-2006, 03:58 PM
awesome!!!

bobakabob
12-04-2006, 05:28 AM
borkus,

Thanks, I'm only just getting to grips with Zbrush and it makes an awesome complement to Lightwave for organic modelling. It's also great for surreal doodles :D

adrian
12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
That looks insanely complex!

I've just tried the demo of Zbrush and I'm buggered if I can get the hang of it. I wanna try Mudbox. I hope to God that's easier to use.

bobakabob
12-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Adrian,

Don't give up. Zbrush will 'click' eventually and you can make complex scenes very quickly. I'm only just scratching the surface but discovering how intuitive it is for 'drawing' and sculpting in 3D. Steve Warner's Lightwave orientated tutorials are a great way in. :)

lilrayray77
12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Zbrush is pretty amazing, fortunately, I was able to pick it up within minutes of using it. I just dont understand what problem people have with the interface, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Anyway, great job bobakabob

LAV
12-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Good! I like this nearly abstract themes. Well realized.

bobakabob
12-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Thanks LAV... I'm a big fan of Meats Meier's bizarre creations and Zbrush is great for creating mad freeform art very quickly.

pixeltek
01-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Funny, surreal, and crazy cool! Love that title too.

CMT
01-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Cool doodle! Keep up the effort! It can become addicting though. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is with the interface, some get it right away, some don't. Took me a couple hours to get the hang of it, but even after a year and a half of working in it, there's always something new to learn. It's just an incredible application. Not just for sculpting, but for illustration as well. I use it in conjuction with LW a lot. They really work well together.

I usually create pencil sketches of a piece I want to do, but lately I've been exploring doing 3D sketches in ZBrush. It's so quick to get a base model for a head or body together or to explore looks for creatures, etc.... I did this one in an hour, but the basic structure and look for the guy was sculpted in about 10 minutes. The rest of the time was spent on tightening up the sculpt and adding detail. Then slapped a pre-existing ZBrush material I created on it.

ZBrush actually has an incredible renderer. It just has a few limitations with depth, lights, and camera. But within those limitations, there's still some awesome possibilities.

Brian Arndt
01-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Very cool..almost disturbing. . in a good way!

bobakabob
01-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Cool doodle! Keep up the effort! It can become addicting though. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is with the interface, some get it right away, some don't. Took me a couple hours to get the hang of it, but even after a year and a half of working in it, there's always something new to learn. It's just an incredible application. Not just for sculpting, but for illustration as well. I use it in conjuction with LW a lot. They really work well together.

I usually create pencil sketches of a piece I want to do, but lately I've been exploring doing 3D sketches in ZBrush. It's so quick to get a base model for a head or body together or to explore looks for creatures, etc.... I did this one in an hour, but the basic structure and look for the guy was sculpted in about 10 minutes. The rest of the time was spent on tightening up the sculpt and adding detail. Then slapped a pre-existing ZBrush material I created on it.

ZBrush actually has an incredible renderer. It just has a few limitations with depth, lights, and camera. But within those limitations, there's still some awesome possibilities.

CMT and Brian ,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't seem to receive email alerts from the Newtek & Spinquad forums, hence the delay in responding. Know what you mean about the ZB interface. Much as I love the intuitive workflow of Modeler it really feels you could spend a lifetime in ZB alone. Because ZB feels as liberating as painting it can feel like you're just limited by imagination now which is a sobering thought.

This doodle only took a few minutes in ZB. It was based on a polygonal head made in LW which took a while longer. Modeler and Zbrush are a fab combination. You can make a simple poly model look very complex with just a few hours work.

Seems like it's the fashion to bash ZB's interface on the forums. IMO the designers have done a great job in making the radical and bizarre seem perfectly logical. Many users dive straight in which is understandable but hit a cul de sac because the techniques are so 'out there'. After following the tuts in the luxurious colour manual and Steve Warner's superb displacement walkthroughs it more or less falls into place. In the end it's all personal preference.

CMT your character is excellent - nice flowing lines and strong design. Any progress?

CMT
01-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks to you too, bobakabob! Yeah as much as I find working in Modeler a pleasure, lately I've been wanting to get the model to ZBrush as quickly as I can.

No progress on that character. He has been put on hold for a few weeks while I do some bread winning images and something for a friend. But I'll definately want to finish this guy. I doubt that I will render him in Lightwave though. I kinda like the look of him in ZBrush.

pixeltek
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, I got it. Steve Warner is the man :thumbsup:
He's indeed a fountain of information where ZBrush-LW is concerned.
Here's his website link: http://www.stevewarner.com/

Thanks for the repeated name dropping, guys.

bobakabob
01-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Ok, I got it. Steve Warner is the man :thumbsup:
He's indeed a fountain of information where ZBrush-LW is concerned.
Here's his website link: http://www.stevewarner.com/

Remember 'enthusiasm'?:D

McFilms
01-18-2007, 06:55 AM
I must say, that the thumbnail hardly does this work justice. I love it!

Its "look" reminds me of Rob Bottin's insanely genius sculptures.

Well done!

pixeltek
01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Remember 'enthusiasm'? :D
"

Yes? bobakabob, Meaning...? Must be a good thing. What are you referring to? :stumped:

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/index.htm

CMT
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM

Who, you mean Steve Werner? Your welcome. :)

pixeltek
01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes, Steve Warner. I didn't know about his great tutorials, until I read this thread and kept seeing his name come up. Right now I am following his ZBrush-LW tute and it makes learning ZBrush a snap.

Good stuff. :agree: