PDA

View Full Version : Newtek is 20? Good for Youtek Newtek!

DonJMyers
11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Wow 1988? Hmm,

20 years X moore's law = 250 years in computer time!

About the only other computer companies still around this long are Apple and Microsoft! We miss you Deluxepaint and AmigaDOS!

20 years ago I was playing Commodore 64 games in my dad's basement in Cincinnati, Ohio. Now I'm a Disney animator living in West Hollywood and I OWE IT ALL to Newtek and Deluxepaint!

Check out LW's history here: http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/mediawiki-1.4.4/index.php?title=LightWave_History

Congrats to Youtek Newtek!

Safe Harbor
11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
1988 gives them 18 years - where did you come up with 20?

Safe Harbor opened in 1988 as well. :)

shrox
11-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Deluxe Paint was by Electronic Arts! Now known the evil EA...

My first use of LW was on a DECAlpha at Amblin Studios.

KSTAR
11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
1988 gives them 18 years - where did you come up with 20?

Safe Harbor opened in 1988 as well. :)

Yeah I used to buy all of my Amiga products from you guys. I bought my GVP 33mhz 020 board with 16megs of ram for my Amiga 2000 from SH back in the day on sale I think for around $2K!! You youngsters have know idea how well you have it these days ;)

Fortunately I had just sold my Atari 1040ST Cad3d, Cybersculpt, Cyber paint, Cyber VCR, and Spectrum 512 so I had some extra cash to start with :)

Man now I feel old

KSTAR
11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Oh yeah congrats Newtek, couldn't have done it all these years with out you!

My first product was DigiView, and the first Toaster

I did use modeler and videoscape 3D before you guys took over. Aegis were art thou?

robewil
11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Newtek's Digiview did come out in 1986. So it is 20 years.

Titus
11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow 1988? Hmm,
About the only other computer companies still around this long are Apple and Microsoft! We miss you Deluxepaint and AmigaDOS!

I bet there are others, like IBM, Evans & Sutherland, etc.

20 years ago I was playing Commodore 64 games in my dad's basement in Cincinnati, Ohio. Now I'm a Disney animator living in West Hollywood and I OWE IT ALL to Newtek and Deluxepaint!

Here's an excellent book about the history of Commodore:

On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore (http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Spectacular-Rise-Fall-Commodore/dp/0973864907/sr=1-1/qid=1164919560/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6495830-8673539?ie=UTF8&s=books)

DonJMyers
11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Oops Lightwave/toaster was 1988 and Digiview was 1986. I think... I let computers do math for me so I'm not very good at it.

robewil
11-30-2006, 05:14 PM
The Amiga Video Toaster, which included Lightwave 1.0 debuted in October 1990. It was first unveiled at AmiExpo in Anaheim California. I know this because I was there.

Note, it had been previewed in various Amiga shows for two years before it finally shipped.

Jim_C
11-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Note, it had been previewed in various Amiga shows for two years before it finally shipped.

Kinda sounds like Speed Edit....

Wakka Wakka Wakka, thank you ladies and Germs.....

:dance:

robewil
11-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Kinda sounds like Speed Edit....

Wakka Wakka Wakka, thank you ladies and Germs.....

:dance:I don't know if you were into this stuff then, Jim, but people were getting just as impatient then. I was a dealer then and I got countless calls from customers asking if the Video Toaster was shipping.

Sarford
11-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I did use modeler and videoscape 3D before you guys took over. Aegis were art thou?

I must still have a VHS cassete laying around here somewhere with my first 3D computeranimation made in videoscape 3D, a little airoplane flying over a table with a bottle of wine and a cup.
If I remember correctly, you had to hardcode your animation, writing a little 'script' with the position, rotations and scaling of your object on all the keyframes. All from the top of your head, there was no visual reference. You just envisioned your animation, coded it, renderd the animation, adjusted the script, renderd the animation... etc. etc. till it was like you wanted.

I also had the Digiview, the famous (first) digitiser for the amiga, with the notourious color wheel. I even made some pupet animations with that thing. Wrote the frames on stacks of floppy's (20 frames on one floppy!) and took em to school to put it all on a umatic tape.

ah... those were the days :D

Congrats NewTek! :thumbsup:

DonJMyers
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I remember that the toaster was in development SO LONG it was always laughed at as pie in the sky vaporware. Then it finally came out and was the amiga's killer app at last!

Nowadays "desktop video" is a little TOO easy. Have you seen all those schmos on youtube.com who can't even operate a desktop usb camera properly? Much less turn a light on!!?

KSTAR
11-30-2006, 07:01 PM
I was strictly an animator back then. Or should I say I was trying to be an animator :p So the toaster was literally a LW dongle 8~ So LW was real expensive back then. Im glad I had the toaster because I ended up learning a lot about video production by default. Back then the real saving grace for me in regards to LW was the Par and the Sunrize Studio 16 card, and Arexx of course :thumbsup:

Yeah those really were the days!

Jim_C
11-30-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't know if you were into this stuff then, Jim, but people were getting just as impatient then. I was a dealer then and I got countless calls from customers asking if the Video Toaster was shipping.

Not quite then, first Toaster use for me was 93.

And I'm sure folks were.
And I'm sure folks are.
And I'm sure folks always will.

SE's current release or lack thereof really makes no diff to me right now.

I just want Newtek to perservere however, whenever with whatever.

Bog
12-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Dear NewTek,

Thank you for inspiring me. Thank you for dropping the price of desktop digital video from hundreds of thousands of dollars to handfuls of thousands. Thank you for bringing 3D animation to the desktop, then to visual effects, then to everywhere. Thank you for being innovative. Thank you for being forward-looking. Thank you for caring more about doing cool things than about Porsches, and realising that if you concentrate on doing cool things then the Porsches tend to buy themselves ;)

Thank you for not publicly trading, getting bought out, getting asset-stripped, sold again, selling the name 23 times until it doesn't mean anything (lookin' at you here, Atari (and others)), and thank you for being owned by technologists and artists rather than people who don't understand Cool Things.

Thank you for having a sense of humour. Thank you for the Haikus, the Eagles in Barrels, the Sheep Wipes and the Choosy Choosers. Thank you for the parties, the events, the booths which are oases of bonhomie and excitement over Cool New Stuff instead of just being advertising kiosks. Thank you for the go-karting, the IMAX presentations, and the foldy-open pens.

Most of all. thank you for making such awesome tools, for caring about the people who use them, for encouraging people to make their own nifty tools and creating that little bizarre bazaar that is the plugin market.

Thanks just for being you. Here's to another 20 years.

SliŠnte!

DonJMyers
12-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Don't forget Kiki Stockhammer!

Briody
12-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I remember ordering Digiview and getting it in a brown bag with some xeroxed docs. No box or fancy manual. But it was an awesome piece of hardware for the time!

Digipaint was so late to market, but once it arrived it was amazing. The ability to edit HAM images was a huge breakthrough at the time.

dballesg
12-01-2006, 11:51 AM
The Amiga Video Toaster, which included Lightwave 1.0 debuted in October 1990. It was first unveiled at AmiExpo in Anaheim California. I know this because I was there.

So 2006 - 1990 = 16 years old?

In two year's Lightwave will have the legal age to drive and drink, right? !! :D

UnCommonGrafx
12-01-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm sitting here in SA to enjoy the party! LW and I are gonna have a drink here shortly.
;)

All this stuff brings back some fond memories. They, the school admins, encouraged me to become a teacher because of these guys and my affinity to their products. Great memories...

Bog
12-01-2006, 12:13 PM
*ignites cigar*

*pours merlot*

SlŠinte! (Blasted two-minute edit limit making me look illiterate!)

Verlon
12-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Sad to have missed the party due to a family emergency :(

Someone post pictures/videos and tell us all what happened

pnelson
12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Pics from the party are starting to go up on the "Behind the Scenes" section of the website. More being added daily. ;)

lesterfoster
12-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Philip. How do you always get those all-sum freaking chicks surrounding you.??

pnelson
12-05-2006, 08:26 AM
LOL! Bribes work wonders! ;)

lesterfoster
12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Those three colored chicks remind me a lot of the four colored men from the original Pentium-4 TV adís. But where is the yellow one?

Glad to see that everyone is having a good time. Glad that I was a part of it by being a customer of NewTEK. And thanks for sharing.

Who is the chick with the bottle belt. How can I bribe her to show up for my companies Christmas party. :)

pnelson
12-05-2006, 10:18 PM
The "Chick with the Bottle Belt" is the legendary Kiki Stockhammer!

UnCommonGrafx
12-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Lester,
Buy LOTS of NewTek items and I'm sure Philip might be able to arrange it. ;)

Or, go to NAB to meet her. She's a nice lady. ;)