PDA

View Full Version : Rendering strategies

randomnumbers
11-29-2006, 03:55 AM
Hi guys,
I've been working on a couple of animation projects recently and I am curious as to how other small scale lightwave users factor in their rendering strategies.

In particular, I would love to hear what you all consider to be an acceptable per frame rendering time and whether you farm work out to the likes of respower or render everything in-house.

Myself, I have a small 4 machine network that I use for my rendering and usually work on the assumption that anything over a minute per frame is unacceptable, unless the number of frames is relatively low and the quality tradeoff is worth it.

Real curious to hear how all you pros do it.

Cheers,
Andy

Bog
11-29-2006, 05:24 AM
Ahh, the good old TARP entry on the Gantt chart :)

As it goes, I don't tie myself to a given frame time - I can optimise scenes tolerably well if there's room in the budget and timescale, but it just comes down to:

Do I have enough Time And Rendering Power to get the sequence needed rendered with my in-house net?

Usually that's a "yes", but if the client needs something in short order, or needs lengthy, lengthy sequences then it's a no-brainer to bag some time on Respower.

I tend to twitch when a single frame takes more than about 2 hours. I can't remember my last render with a 1 minute frame-time. If I had to call an "average", I'd say about 10 mins a frame on a single 3Ghz P4 core.

randomnumbers
11-29-2006, 05:41 AM
I tend to twitch when a single frame takes more than about 2 hours. I can't remember my last render with a 1 minute frame-time.

Twitch?! I think I would be headed for full on cardiac arrest if I was approaching a couple hours a frame!

To clarify that 1min/frame number; I tend to render out everything in passes and often on a per-object basis so a single finished frame could contain as many as 20 or 30 passes.

kilvano
11-29-2006, 05:55 AM
My last animation for uni took a lot of time to render roughly 3500 frames at ~3-4 mins per frame.

The poly count was too high but i didnt have time to fix it and risk missing the deadline.

i worked on my main rig AMD3400+ during the day and rendered on an AMD3000+ and a P4 3.0Ghz laptop. At night i would set up scenes to render on my main rig and cancel it in the morn. Basically all my computers were either animating or rendering.

I didnt use screamernet or anything like that. Just installed LW on each and hit render. Prob against the rules but it was an emergency.

I usually only rendered out 300 frames a go unless i was sleeping. This meant that i could identify errors early on.