PDA

View Full Version : .IFF Texture file

CrazyGiraffe
11-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok, so I'm trying to edit one of the textures of the Fighter SpaceShip in the Classic Content folder of LW 8.5, and it's textures are .IFF files, which wont open in... anything, just wondering, what image program will open them?!

-Beau

Ztreem
11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Photoshop used to open .iff files.

Lightwolf
11-28-2006, 12:59 PM
There is an IFF loader and saver in one of the extras folders of the PS install CD. Goodies? Can't remember, but you have to install it manually.

Or load it into LW, double click in the image in the image editor and save ;)

Cheers,
Mike

robewil
11-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Aura and Mirage will also work with them.

If all else fails, load them as background images in Lightwave, set the render resolution identical to the resolution of the image, render and save to the format of your choice.

Dave Jerrard
11-29-2006, 04:08 AM
Or load it into LightWave, open the IMage Editor, double-click the image and then save it from the Image Viewer that opens up, in whatever format you want. No rendering required. :)

He Who Think's It's About Time He Rebooted Again.

Bog
11-29-2006, 05:26 AM
IrfanView (a free imagebrowser and thumbnailer) will batch-convert .IFF files amongst others.

trentonia
11-29-2006, 05:34 AM
You can also open in DPaint IV.:D

beverins
11-29-2006, 09:26 AM
If anyone wants the Adobe .IFF loader/saver I can send it to them. I don't think it was included in the CS2 release.

robewil
11-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Or load it into LightWave, open the IMage Editor, double-click the image and then save it from the Image Viewer that opens up, in whatever format you want. No rendering required. :)That's just too simple. I prefer complicated. :D

Dave Jerrard
11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
That's just too simple. I prefer complicated. :D
Ok. Try this:

Load the image into Layout.
Open the Image Editor and find its dimensions.
Open Modeler and drag out a box in the Back view to the same dimensions so 1 cm = 1 pixel.
Subdivide the box to 100 divisions along the X and the Y dimensions. (This is important for no useful reason. Higher subdivisions will just be more impressive)
Create a UV map on the Z axis, and call it Super Detailed UV Map For Image Conversion From IFF to Another Format. (A shorter name can be used if needed).
Scale this object so it's exactly 1 meter tall. An easy way would be to move one row of points at a time, but you can also use the Absolute Size option.
Change the surface name to SuperDividedUVSurfaceForImageConversion.
Save this object as SuperDividedUVPanelForImageConversion.lwo.
Drop something very heavy on your foot (or punch a wall if you're wearing shoes).
Load this object into Layout. (This should be tricky if you're in the appropriate amount of pain)
Go to Photoshop and create a blank image the same size as the IFF image.
Save this image as BLankImage (with a capital L), in a lossless format, like TGA or BMP.
Load this BLankImage into LightWave.
Select the IFF image in the Image Editor.
Think about this step for a few minutes. Don't do anything else until you're done.
Open the Editing tab and click the Invert button to turn the IFF image into a negative.
Now select the BLankImage and open the Processing tab.
Add the Textured Image plugin and open it.
Leave the Texture Editor set to Image Map and select the IFF image as the image.
If your foot (or hand) is no longer sore, poke it with something sharp (pencils or claw hammers work extremely well for this).
Click the Invert Layer button in the Texture Editor. Make sure the Mapping Axis is set to Z.
Turn MipMapping off.
Turn Pixel Blending off.
Click Use Texture.
Open the Surface Editor and select the SuperDividedUVSurfaceForImageConversion surface of the SuperDividedUVPanelForImageConversion object.
Make this 100% luminous and 0% diffuse.
Open the Texture Editor for the Color channel.
Change the mapping to UV and select the Super Detailed UV Map For Image Conversion From IFF to Another Format UV map.
Apply the BLankImage to this texture.
If this is the first or second time following these instructions, you probably did something wrong, so go back and start over.
If this is your third time through these instructions, ignore the last step.
Open the Camera Panel.
Set the Render Resolution to match the original IFF image.
Select the Surface Baking Camera.
Pour some lemon juice onto the wound on your foot (or hand). Leninade (http://www.leninade.com/) works well. Get "Hammered and Sickled"
Select the SuperDividedUVPanelForImageConversion object for the Mesh.
Select the Super Detailed UV Map For Image Conversion From IFF to Another Format UV for the UV map.
Render and save the image as RubeGolbergWouldBeProudOfThisConvertedImageFormat. TGA or something similar.
Look up the name Rube Goldberg on the internet.

It couldn't be easier without being less complicated.

He Who Will Assure Everyone This Will Work.

robewil
11-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Okay, now I need a 39 step tutorial on how to use Lightwave.:D :D

Bog
11-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Dave.

Stop, Dave.

Dave. Please stop.

Why don't you take an anti-stress pill, and we'll discuss this.

Dave.

Please, Dave.

Won't you stop?

Please. Stop, Dave.

My mind is going. I can feel it.

I can feel it.

Stop. Won't you.

Please.

Stop.

My mind is going. I can feel it.

Good morning, Doctor Chandra.