PDA

View Full Version : Skypecast test

BeeVee
11-28-2006, 06:06 AM
Hi all,

As an addition to the tech support services we normally offer - telephone, email and so on - I am preparing to do a test of the new Skypecast feature of Skype. The limitations right now are that you need to be using the beta of Skype 3.0 (http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/downloading_beta.html), so you need to be on a Windows machine and that not having a headset seems to cause feedback problems, especially when there are many people in the audience.

I propose doing half an hour of Skypecast per weekday at 11AM CET for the time being, to see how it goes. It will be mainly me speaking to a silent audience, but people listening can ask to speak to pose questions. Because I'm limiting this to half-hour sessions I really want this to be a source of info on new things in the LightWave world and answers to questions that expert LightWavers may consider too simple. Although you need to be using a Windows machine to listen into the Skypecast, or to ask questions, the Skypecast itself is completely platform-agnostic and I will happily answer Mac-related questions. Once you have Skype 3.0 you will find a Skypecast tab available and you will be able to visit the Skypecast website (https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/home) in order to find out when the next session is going to be. From my limited tests so far, there doesn't seem to be a very user-friendly way of letting you know a SkypeCast is about to begin etc. so I'm sure that part of the early test Skypecasts will be joint discovery of the best methods to use when running one. I will title all the Skypecasts I make "LWcast" so they should be easy to find. One of the discoveries I've already made is that I will also run a Skype chat window by the side of the Skypecast window so that I can paste URLs etc.

There is a limit to how many people can join in on a Skypecast, and on a chat "group" too. It seems to be about 100 people, but I will also examine recording the sessions and perhaps making them available at a later date via a podcast or something similar?

Keep your eye out for the LWcast on the Skype website tomorrow (that's the 29/11/06)...

Thanks for reading this and I hope to speak to some of you soon!

B
PS. Skypecasts are free to listen to or pose questions - they are even free to host, which is why I'm experimenting on you lot... ;)

spec24
11-28-2006, 06:49 AM
sounds great BeeVee!!!!

BeeVee
11-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks spec24, although I don't suppose you'll be up early/late enough to hear me making a fool of myself? ;) The URL for the Skypecast page is as follows:

LWcast- first steps (https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=76230)

B

prospector
11-28-2006, 10:35 AM
If that has problems then you might want to try Unyte.
I use that all the time as skype sometimes uses so much bandwidth that sound is distorted when doing video too.
I've had 6 on at once and no slowdown (except for user connection)
I send out 10MB/s here and some phone dialup guys seem to be lagging, tho cable and DSL are OK.

I do get a 2 sec lag from here to germany (both on DSL there), and the cool thing is we got 10 screen recursions with only a 5 sec lag in screen refresh.

It's not something you'd wanna do intentionally, but we just had to try :D

LW_Will
11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
If you have problems, you can try this one too...

http://www.talkshoe.com

LW_Will

Silkrooster
11-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Hope it works out for you. I never used skype myself, then again I don't im much either. Just ask prospector, I think its been what a year already. lol.
Silk

prospector
11-28-2006, 11:53 PM
yep :D

BeeVee
11-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Anyway... ;) The first Skypecast will start in less than an hour.

B

BeeVee
11-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Okay, not sure where Skype is taking its times from, but the inaugural LWcast can now be found on this page:

LWcast - first steps (https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=77120&message=new_talk_created)

B

DogBoy
11-29-2006, 03:08 AM
Poor Ben has no-one on. Give him so love NOW!!

DogBoy
11-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Yay, for Richard who chatted from Glastonbury.
Same time tomorrow?

bobakabob
11-29-2006, 03:39 AM
Hi Ben,

This sounds like a great idea. Time to check out Skype and see if I can wrangle some time out of work :)

colkai
11-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Shall be seeing if I can log in the morra, I thought you needed 3.0 for it, but according to the Skype website, so long as you have 2.5 you can use Skypecasts.

"Make sure you’ve got the latest Skype
Skype is free and easy to use. Download Skype 2.5 to join a Skypecast."

(Actually, in the FAQ they reckon anything above 1.4 is ok)

BeeVee
11-29-2006, 04:09 AM
Yeah, but we had some problems when we tested if folk don't have the beta? If you don't want to install it (although Skype makes it dead easy to mix and match versions) then give it a go and let me know how it goes...

B

BeeVee
11-29-2006, 04:11 AM
There isn't a way currently of reminding yourself that a Skypecast is about to start, so folk will need to be fairly on the button with it. I knew that the first few would be chaotic, but I'm hoping it settles down somewhat by next week - it's never easy breaking new ground... ;)

B

colkai
11-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Yeah, but we had some problems when we tested if folk don't have the beta?
Ahh, righty.
well, shall have a go and if me struggles, I'll go grab Beta 3.0

Will post on here if I fail to get it going.

BeeVee
11-29-2006, 05:04 AM
cool. You can let us know on the 'cast itself tomorrow! :D

B

cresshead
11-29-2006, 07:19 AM
okay i'll get the beta and see if i can hear you tomorrow! [thursday]
...11am uk time yeah?

BeeVee
11-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Nooo... 10AM UK, 11AM CET

B

cresshead
11-29-2006, 07:21 AM
okay!...alarm is set! ha ha!:D

BeeVee
11-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Today's Skypecast starts in about 35 minutes from this posting. If you have Skype 3, you should see the nifty LightWave logo on a red background right now!

B

cresshead
11-30-2006, 03:04 AM
i'm waiting!

cresshead
11-30-2006, 03:29 AM
was good...worked okay

BeeVee
11-30-2006, 03:46 AM
That went better, doncha think? ;) Okay, today's was better, but tomorrow's will be better yet I promise. Okay some folk who've been there from the start might be sick of hearing me repeat the same stuff over and over again, but I promise I'll have some new gags soon. Did you hear the one about...? ;)

BTW, tomorrow's link will be: LWcast 3 (https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=78278)
if you don't get it in your Skype window...

B

colkai
11-30-2006, 03:47 AM
Yup, need to spread the word and get more people involved.

For those of you running, (like myself), Skype 2.5, a point of note.
People will talk about the 'request to talk' button, which you will not have.

I found that the small browser window which popped up showing people on the skypecast, had a little bar labelled 'request the microphone' you need to click on that to ask the host to unmute your microphone. (See picture below).

Note also, you must ensure your Skype also has you microphone unmuted (should be in call options).

Hope to catch more of you there tomorrow (10:00 GMT)

cresshead
11-30-2006, 04:01 AM
i'm using the beta 3.0 and have a headset mic/phones...it's difficult to interupt without talking over people maybe we could do with a 'beep' like on the nasa moonshots in the 60's-70's

BeeVee
11-30-2006, 04:05 AM
I agree, an "Okay to talk". I really liked that the two of you gave your names first as well, since Skype doesn't show who's speaking... :rolleyes:

B

cresshead
11-30-2006, 04:08 AM
early days...this could grow into a great resource...maybe add a bit on speed edit tomorrow/monday in regards to availablility in europe etc and what it can run on...
though i can't kame tomorrow's cast as i'll be meeting one of those 'pretty girls' in leicester tomorrow morning!

BeeVee
11-30-2006, 04:21 AM
:D Well a half-hour chat is not much time to cover all that's groovy in the LW world already, especially if I do some tech support in there as was envisaged at the start...

Was the quality okay?

B

colkai
11-30-2006, 06:28 AM
Quality was fine, nice n clear.
As for using our own names, heck, I'm not clever enough to think up some cool alias. :p
I agree as well, this could turn into a great resource.

cresshead
12-01-2006, 02:39 AM
i'm out this morning so i'll catch up with you on monday!...meeting a pretty girl!
...actually she's on my flash webvid loop on cresshead.com....!

colkai
12-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Ok,
I got a screencap of the https: window that pops up with version 2.5, as requested by Ben, which actually shows the "ask for microphone" bar.

One thing I'll add, during todays skypecast, I noticed the people displayed in this window fluctuated / dropped (including Ben as the host). However, the actual skypecast and chat window remained ok.

I am putting that down to network traffic causing glitches and it in no way affected my involvement or audio quality. It does come back up after a few seconds so if you are running 2.5 and this happens, I'd say do not worry about it. :)

BeeVee
12-01-2006, 05:18 AM
It was a bizarre "show" today, with not enough LightWaving, for which I apologise. I am however, very grateful to the folk who persevered with this experiment and will be continuing Monday with the next "episode". I shall have a think over the weekend about ways that I can improve the service and I think that Colkai's suggestion that we all edit our Skype profiles so that they include (LW) will help sort the LightWavers from the folk wanting to learn English or meet new people.

B
PS. Here's the URL for Monday's chat: LWcast - first steps 4 (https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=79407)
PPS. Thanks Col!

DarkLight
12-01-2006, 05:50 AM
Will bookmark that URL ready for monday. :)

cresshead
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
see ya there!

BeeVee
12-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Okay, next one in half an hour... It's nice to have wavers in my addressbook, but it's not necessary for a Skypecast - if it were then we wouldn't get a load of teenagers wanting to learn english... Be sure to add (lw) to your profile name (or somewhere in it?) so that I know who's interested and who's not.

B

colkai
12-04-2006, 04:41 AM
see ya there!
Steve, your PM box is full, can't reply to your request. :)

cresshead
12-04-2006, 04:54 AM
...just emptied the bin!

BeeVee
12-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Okay, new thing today. The Skypecast will start at 10 GMT, 11 CET. However, there seems to be a problem with the Skype website since I can't set one up in advance, so I'm going to have to try a "Start now". This means that it will be available on the Live tab of Skype 3, and I will post the URL once it has started here. Since Skypecasts can continue after their allotted time, I propose only setting a 15 minute chat to give people enough time to join up, but I will only start chatting after the fifteen minutes is up and people can no longer join. That way, we won't get any interruptions. For those first fifteen minutes I won't talk much, so don't leave thinking there's nothing going on, I'm just waiting for the "end" of the advertised chat.

B

BeeVee
12-05-2006, 02:47 AM
Okay, I've created the Skypecast now at this address: Skypecast (https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=82640&message=new_talk_created)

Don't forget, join in quickly, you only have until 1015 GMT, 1115 CET to join, but I won't start it properly until that time, then we'll do half an hour.

B

Phil
12-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Too early in the day for me. Would be nice to have something in the evening, or a weekly/fortnightly podcast type thing (similar to www.lugradio.org, for example although without the language, if it is deemed inappropriate)

BeeVee
12-05-2006, 04:35 AM
Part of the ongoing idea is to transform the chats we have live into a Podcast...

B

BeeVee
12-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Okay, today's will start in just over half an hour and the doors will be open from 1100-1115 CET/1000-1015 GMT. Once the public doors have closed we can start on LightWave content proper. Yesterday's 'cast was very useful for an exchange of info regarding LightWave and additional programs, so join in.

B

BeeVee
12-06-2006, 02:55 AM
Hmm, it occurs to me that since we are starting on the dot of 1100 here and 10 GMT, and since I can't post a link to the 'cast in advance, you need to go to the Skype website, or if you are using beta 3 of Skype you have a Live tab that will have the Skypecast listed on it. If you need to search for it, it will always have LWcast in the name.

B

BeeVee
12-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Here's a link:

https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=83576&message=new_talk_created

B

bobakabob
12-06-2006, 03:12 AM
Ben,

The Podcast idea is great, hope you follow that up - Like other Lightwavers I'd like to participate but unfortunately will find it difficult to make the broadcast time.

cresshead
12-06-2006, 03:22 AM
with the up n comming interview tomorrow maybe you should post a new thread on that subject and also point to the skype homepage and add a link or two or help info on skype beta...make it as simple as possible to get on the skypecast for new people

dballesg
12-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi Ben,

I've been trying to join the Skypecast this morning and has been impossible. I cannot find it throught the search option on Skype web page (and I selected english and spanish as my languages in options).

Here it is 11:30 GMT +01:00 (I am in Spain so it is the same hour in France).

With the link you posted it takes me to Skype web page, but i do not find a way to join in.

Can you point me on how to connect, I am new to skype! :) At least using skypecasts.

Best regards,
David

cresshead
12-06-2006, 03:40 AM
hi, todays's skypecast was cut short this morning a full cast will be on tomorrow with an interview etc

BeeVee
12-06-2006, 03:46 AM
Hi David,

The Skypecast was started at 1100 CET today, and the window of opportunity to join was only 15 minutes after that time, after which, the Skypecast is closed to everyone except those already in there. I did cut it a little short since the only folk in the room once entrance was stopped, were my regular listeners who've had to listen to me drone on day after day (thanks for the support guys!)

B

colkai
12-06-2006, 03:48 AM
See ya tomorrow, same time, same BatChannel ;)

dballesg
12-06-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi Ben,

thanks, I hope I can try it tomorrow! :) I am on a 5 days holidays so it is a good oportunity to join and listen and participate.

Thanks in advance.

BeeVee
12-06-2006, 04:27 AM
As per Cresshead's suggestion, I have started a new thread with regard to the interview I plan for tomorrow. If anyone here has further suggestions for what I should add to the fine print section, or elsewhere in the thread, please let me know.

It's got that new thread smell... (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60164)

B