PDA

View Full Version : Need Maps for Promo Video

THREEL
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Does anyone out there know where I might be able to find a transportation map of the US? I need to be able to use it in a promo video that I'm doing. It would be nice if I could find one that I can zoom into city level and out past the US boundaries.

I would like it to show highways (especially interstates), RRs, and airports. I found a couple of sites, but the prices were pretty salty. $199 for one map, or a series of maps for $499. Beings that I'm not charging a whole lot for this project to begin with, I cannot justify spending that kind of moola for a map.

Also, it would be nice if I could find some type of topographical map, along with the transportation, so I could run a little bump on the map to give it a little 3-D flare.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

tHANX!!!

tHREEL (AL)

mcabery
12-10-2006, 01:01 PM
It sounds like this isn't in your budget either, but the $400.00 pro version of Google Earth way do what you are after. You can set in a "Tour" and record it out in any of a number of video formats including .avi. It is $400.00 per year to subscribe however....

THREEL
12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
It sounds like this isn't in your budget either, but the $400.00 pro version of Google Earth way do what you are after. You can set in a "Tour" and record it out in any of a number of video formats including .avi. It is $400.00 per year to subscribe however....

Actually, I was looking at that, but did you say that was $400 per per per year. Pardon my stutter on that amount. Maybe for the 2nd season. :lol: Plus, do they cover every square mile of good ol' terra firma, or just the major metro areas, and other places of interest?

Do you think somebody like USGS has something like this for public domain?

tHANX!

AL

mcabery
12-11-2006, 12:14 AM
I saw your post as I started researching a similar project myself. I did find a free variation, but I haven't been able to play with it yet, it comes from NASA... http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ I don't know the quality of the NASA version, but Google Earth varies from location to location, some places you could recognize which vehicles were in your driveway, other places not, so it matters on the resources they have. From what I gather the NASA information is pretty good throughout. There is a plug in available that allows worldwind to output image sequences.

What I will be playing with tomorrow is worldwind, and also some plugins I found for Lightwave that allow inputting map models such as DEMs that are freely available... Of course, my needs are for one area of just a few square miles, not the entire country!

THREEL
12-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Just when you think a thread is dead, someone finds it and responses. Cool!!! Worldwind looks interesting. I wonder what their terms of use for the imagery is. I found terms for the use of the software, but not for using the images that come from the site. Also, I wonder if you can save a zoom in/out as a moving image file. Ahhh... Research, research, reseach... It will take me a little while to download, thou. Someday, I'll upgrade to Hi-speed.:D

Take care, and tHANX!!!

AL

PS--Just re-read your post and missed the image sequence part.

Sorry!

mcabery
12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Looks like we will be learning together today, I am just about to download it worldwind myself....

THREEL
12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Looks like we will be learning together today, I am just about to download it worldwind myself....

Get a chance to play with World Wind, yet? I've worked with it a little. I got a decent still of an airport in Ft. Wayne, IN, but it's a little fuzzy out in the rural areas. Maybe it's just my connection speed. I do think I can use it for what I'm looking for, although, sometimes I get some areas with just a gray box. Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't. Oh well, need to do more research.

Let me know what you think.

AL

mcabery
12-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I have played with it some, it doesn't look like it will work as well as I had hoped for my needs. I really want to be flying through some canyons and such. I would guess that your connection speed may be part of the problem with your images. I have 768k DSL and it takes quite a while to load some maps...

Right now I am in the process of learning how to turn map data into Lightwave objects. Remarkably I have been able to, just not quite what I am after yet, but at least there are mountains showing up in modeler! Just goes to prove one of my favorite sayings, "Experience is what you wish you had, as you are getting it."! Frankly, the best looking stuff yet is from Google Earth, but I'm not done yet! Good luck!

mcabery
12-13-2006, 01:27 PM
After much playing around and learning about things I have never known about before (mostly mapping stuff) I have determined that for my current project it looks like Google Earth will be the way to go. While I would have more flexibility with Lightwave, the hurdles of finding the right map info, putting it together and rendering what I need is no match for the simplicity of making a "tour" in GE and rendering it out. Perhaps if I can get a subscription to GE Pro you can send me the locations you need and I can render it out for you and send it back???

THREEL
12-13-2006, 02:48 PM
After much playing around and learning about things I have never known about before (mostly mapping stuff) I have determined that for my current project it looks like Google Earth will be the way to go. While I would have more flexibility with Lightwave, the hurdles of finding the right map info, putting it together and rendering what I need is no match for the simplicity of making a "tour" in GE and rendering it out. Perhaps if I can get a subscription to GE Pro you can send me the locations you need and I can render it out for you and send it back???

That would be cool!:thumbsup: Keep me informed, and we'll go from there. I downloaded the free version of GE, and looked at that. I still had some problems with getting clear images of the more rural areas, but then again, we still could be talking about my sloooooowwww connection speed.:sleeping:

BTW--I took screen shots of a couple of airports on GE, and they seemed to turn out pretty good. Once I zoomed in closer than 1,500 feet the images didn't seem to sharpen up any, thou.

tHANX, mcabery!!!

AL

mcabery
12-13-2006, 10:45 PM
I will let you know when I know more myself!.... The images in GE vary in quality from place to place. In the area that I need to work with you can see individual bushes, but if I look at the area where I live it is pretty bad. Feel free to email me at pat (at) sightandsoundservices dot com.

C Ya