PDA

View Full Version : Baking IKed character animation, what the...?

Emmanuel
11-27-2006, 04:43 AM
Hi,

I wonder if I am just doing something wrong or if its LW.
The manual states that I can use the dopetrack to bake keys.
Be my guest: I load the Serious Sam game model with that pumpkin head.
It has a walkcycle from 6 to 30.
I select all bones.I create a range with the right mousebutton in the dopetrack.
I select "Bake Range".
Its creating a key for every bone at every frame.
I "Disable IK", and what happens ? The legs jump back to the original pose of the spread eagle.
I open Graph ed. Yes a key at every frame, but actually no rotation was recorded.
I try the graph eds function for baking curves.
I try baking them with the motion modifier "Motion baker".
I even try baking them via Motion Mixer.
How the heck am I supposed to export characters with baked animations to a game engine if LW just wont do it ?
Even when I disable IK, the feet jump back and forth when I move the nulls.
How is that supposed to work !?
I know there is a plugin by DStorm, but COME ON, its LW 9 !!!!!!!!!

Dodgy
11-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Motion baker does work, I've used it many times.

First: Use OrientConstraint instead of 'Match Goal Orientation' as not even motion baker can see that.

Then: Apply baker to each bone you have IK on. Set it to 'Overwrite existing' and click the channels for which you have IK.
Make a preview to bake the channels.

Now is the annoying part. If you disable IK, you also have to change the channel controllers back to Keyframes to see your keys working. In 8 you only had to turn IK off, but for some reason this got broke in 9 or 8.5, send NT an email to get this changed back, as it was much more useful how it was.

I tend to just leave Baker on there since if you make a change then preview, it'll automatically update the keys to match the new IK.

Emmanuel
11-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Okay, so why baking via Dopetrack does not work ?
I mean, Dopetrack was touted as a major feature when 8 was announced.
Beeing able to bake only non-IK objects (and the manual says Dopetrack can be used to bake *character animation*) is just ridiculous.

Dodgy
11-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Don't tell me :) Tell newtek!

The whole IK situation as to what can see it and what can't is ridiculous. Hopefully that'll get sorted soon.

Ztreem
11-27-2006, 09:23 AM
The whole IK situation as to what can see it and what can't is ridiculous.

:agree: :thumbsdow

SplineGod
11-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Use DStorms IK Baker.

Ztreem
11-27-2006, 11:21 AM
thanks for the tip! Does Dstorms plugin also bake motion modifiers applied to an object?

Phil
11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
File a bug, with content, to [email protected] There's little point moaning on these boards, simply because you are likely to disappear in all the other activity. [email protected] at least means the developers stand a chance of seeing and fixing the problem

SplineGod
11-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Ztreem,
No, just the IK but it at least sees all the items that have IK at once.
Motion modifiers, if applied in the graph editor can also be baked easily at once.
Theres a free plugin that can apply/remove various modifiers at once to multiple items/channels - http://interialabs.de/lw/lscript/files/IL_MultiAddHandler_042.zip

Emmanuel
11-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Phil:
I dont see that as a bug but rather a limitation of the feature "baking IK to keys".
And since it hasnt changed since 7.5, I guess quite a few people already have send in those requests about that feature.
NT ignoring this means it wouldnt make difference if I send a request or not.
So as a paying customer, I'd rather not send a request but look elsewhere if NT doesnt want to change that...

Phil
11-28-2006, 06:57 AM
It's up to you, but I've found that [email protected] is always a better bet than attempting to get attention from the developers on these boards. It's also possible that requests have been sent in before, but it does no harm to fire in your own request, especially if you consider it a major irritation.

[email protected] and [email protected] are always going to be the better contact points.

*shrug*