PDA

View Full Version : Very basic question

Morte
11-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi all, I have probably a very stupid question. I try to make spline in shape "U". But i don'w want to use Bezier or Sketch, I need place points very decently so the best tool for this seems to be the pen. But, when I use pen and make spline in shape "U" it's closed ;( And I cannot open this, when I try to delete only this edge, hole polygon dissapear. I know, I can kill the poly and then connect points but first: it's very boring when you have very complex spline and second > it's make polygon again. I mean I very like Bezier or Sketch or Spline draw but they make curves - I need create basic shape with no curves bat open, not close. I'm becoming to think, LW doesn't have such a basic tool for this. And also when I make spline with (for example) bezier or sketch and there is 20 points in this curve and I want to delete connect line between 11-12 point it's impossible, it deletes hole shape, only points remains ;( I would like to find some tool like "delete segment" or something like that. Thank you for your help, Morte

kruemel_1
11-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Sounds like you want is a 2-point poly chain:
- Create the shape with Bezier or Spline.
- Be sure all created curves are joined, so you have only one curve.
- go to a new layer, set you curve into background.
- create a single point at the beginning of the curve and convert it to a 1-point polygon (point with "+" and mouse, to poly with "p")
- Rail extrude (under multiply) the 1-point poly along the curve

Simon
11-26-2006, 05:53 AM
You want to turn a spline into a 2 point poly chain? The plugin called 'Borderline' makes 2 point poly chains out of polygons:

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/modeler.htm

Morte
11-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Thank you guys, yes this is exactly what I mean and what I wanted, your advices helped me a lot. Thank you very much. Morte

Silkrooster
11-26-2006, 09:37 PM
A 2 point poly is not a spline. If you want a 2 point poly, create a polygon shape use the extrude tool and right click once(don't drag). Select the original polygon and the polygon on the opposite side then delete(best to select both polygons in the perspective window, so you can select the center of the polygons and not the edge). You should be left with a 2 point polygon.

For a spline, create a circle(shape it if necessary), select 1/2 of the points and delete. Now press the k key to kill the polygon. Select the points in order, then hit ctrl-p to create an open spline.
Silk

gerry_g
11-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Lightwave demotes two point polys to leaper status, allowing their creation only by subterfuge, where as other programs supply a whole raft of tools that allow you to build natively in this state , in Lightwave you can only model with splines so long as they’re interpolated

PWL
02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I concure, all I want to do is attach a point to an edge.
I could do it if I could add a point to the edge then merge the two points but I dont see how to do this either.

gerry_g
02-25-2007, 06:54 PM
You can add a point to an edge with the 'Add Points' tool (Mutiply>Subdivide>Add Points), just remember to select your poly first or the tool will be grayed out, then using ‘Drag Snap’ to snap to the corner. Or you cold just remove the top right poly and remake it by selecting the points and hitting ‘P’, then remove the front most one and repeat.

Silkrooster
02-25-2007, 08:06 PM
There are so many ways to accomplish the same thing in lightwave. For example You could select two points and click on divide tool and it will add a point in the center of the two you selected. you can then drag that point to where you want it.
If your point exists on another object you can select that point first then the point on the edge where you want the first point to be and select weld. That will merge the two points into one.
Silk

Surrealist.
02-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi all, I have probably a very stupid question. I try to make spline in shape "U". But i don'w want to use Bezier or Sketch, I need place points very decently so the best tool for this seems to be the pen. But, when I use pen and make spline in shape "U" it's closed ;( And I cannot open this, when I try to delete only this edge, hole polygon dissapear. I know, I can kill the poly and then connect points but first: it's very boring when you have very complex spline and second > it's make polygon again. I mean I very like Bezier or Sketch or Spline draw but they make curves - I need create basic shape with no curves bat open, not close. I'm becoming to think, LW doesn't have such a basic tool for this. And also when I make spline with (for example) bezier or sketch and there is 20 points in this curve and I want to delete connect line between 11-12 point it's impossible, it deletes hole shape, only points remains ;( I would like to find some tool like "delete segment" or something like that. Thank you for your help, Morte

If you want two point curves with the bezier tool, open the numeric panel and set the Subdivision to 1. It is the subdivision option that makes bezier a powerful tool. The default gives you 16. You can set it to 3 or 4 and have simple curves.

The pen tool is for creating closed polygons.

If you have LWCAD 1.5, there is a whole set of spline drawing tools that are very powerful. It is free with Lightwave V 9 if you purchased recently I am not sure if the promotion still stands though.

Two point poly chains are really only good for certain things and LW actually takes what would be a very exhausting exercise and makes it extremely easy. Silkrooster already explained. It is a ver powerful fearture that you can take a very complex shape, extrude it and then delete the extruded points and in one step you have a complex set of two point polys based on the geometry. There is a great video on this here in the video tutorials training section

roboanarchy
03-01-2007, 05:38 PM
If I need to attach a point to an edge I select the face I'm going to cut so only it is affected, then I knife it right where the attaching point touches it. You can then combine the two resulting polys. Easiest way now that I am thinking about it rather than in the middle of workflow would be to zoom in max on the attaching point for lineup reference, then add point to the offending edge.

Dodgy
03-02-2007, 03:00 AM
The pen tool is for creating closed polygons.

The spline draw tool on the other hand, will do open or closed curves, determined by the settings in the Numeric panel, which sounds exactly like what he is trying to do.

Surrealist.
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
You're right. Good point.

The Bezier also has that option, if what you need a is a string or loop of joined curves.