PDA

View Full Version : How to Model A Canyon?

somecoolgeezer
11-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi.

I am doing a fly through scene of a small cowboy/wild west style town and in the backgroud I want to add a Canyon(esque) model so the camera isn't just staring into the distance.

Anyone know of any good tutorials or have any tips to model it?

Soething like this

http://www.visitusa.com/california/images/painted-canyon-geologic-area/paintedcanyon-narrows.jpg

I tries doing it in terreagen but the Was wanting something a bit lower in polygons.

Thanks
s.

connerh
11-25-2006, 01:28 PM
That kind of canyon you'd be better off handmodelling a low res object, go into layout and apply some normal displacement to the subpatched object, then go back to modeller and tweak some more.

Red_Oddity
11-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Handmodeling seems a good option with canyons like this...

Also, World Machine is a nice free nodebased landscaping tool : http://www.world-machine.com/gallery.html

Bog
11-27-2006, 03:54 AM
If you're hand-making a subdiv canyon, it can be fun to use the Airbrush tool.

In modeler, make your subdivided plane, use a decent number of divisions. Create a new morph called "Down", and push the plane downwards. Make a second morph called "Canyon". Switch to Airbrush Mode in your Vertex Maps panel, select "Down" as your brush, and paint the crevasse.

Aside from being effective, it's great fun. Like playing Populus in LW ;)

benedict_ilagan
11-27-2006, 04:59 AM
It's also wise to consider the matte map done in any paint program like photoshop. Do a 1000x1000 size canvas w high 300 dpi or more. Then paint your canyon design what ever that might be (make sure white is selected color, white represents height and black is low ground level). In Layout, apply your matte map as displacement and adjust it to your needs and you can always go back to painting and make changes to your mattes.

Hope that helps... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

somecoolgeezer
11-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Thx for the info guys appreciate it