PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed With Hollow Font In Lightwave

Aaron_Price
11-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi everyone I am trying to create a Superman flying through space text but having problems finding a outline hollow text that works when used in Lightwave has the outline of the text but no inner. Something like this screen shot from the movie Superman..

So I was wondering if anyone knew any free Outline texts similar to the one in the image that works in Lightwave to give that outline effect. Any help would be great thanks.... :D

prospector
11-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Well they can be made with just about any letter if you can't find the specific ones.

How I do it;

take the font ya want and the letters ya want,

Extrude to depth ya want,

from side of letters select the faces and rear polys and delete,

then thicken letters with 'thickener' to what you need (being careful not to overlap polys (some fonts worse than others),

done

here's one I did while writing this...done with plain arial, doing steps above.

Aaron_Price
11-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Thanks for your help prospector but I get horrible edges on the outline of the text like its got pixel like a digital clock. Anyways here is a example of what I tried to do...

prospector
11-26-2006, 05:08 AM
looks like your polys are flipped wrong way

prospector
11-26-2006, 05:13 AM
Also if you do as I mentioned, you get ALL quads in letters. then you can hit 'tab' to smooth them out.
May have to run bandsaw on the edges to sharpen them up (1 cut at 10 and 1 at 90), Also if the extrude is only as far as the letter is wide, you can hit 'tab' and have neon tube type letters. In pretty much any font if your careful.