PDA

View Full Version : Deselecting Points and Polygons

danielh68
06-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi,

I once posted the question on how to deselect points and polygons (universally) and was told to use the "/" key. It seems to work for some situations but not all. For example, if I select a group of points, reposition them with the move tool and then hit the "/" key nothing happens. As an alternative, I have to click the "points" button on the bottom tool bar and then click in a gray area to deselect. There's gotta be a more productive method than that. If I remember correctly, in 3DMax, it was just a matter of right clicking to deselect. Isn't there something comparable to LW?

Thanks,
Dan

toby
06-15-2003, 11:27 PM
clicking the grey area is how it's done - I didn't like it either when I started learning LW, but got used to it. There's also a plug-in called "deselect points" you can find on Flay.com.

And welcome to Lightwave, have fun reading buttons instead of decyphering them :cool:

danielh68
06-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks for your help Toby.

Much appreciated,
Dan

korn_kid
06-16-2003, 12:02 AM
After u reposition a group of points/polys hit the ENTER key then the / key,
that should deselect it.

danielh68
06-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Great! Thanks Korn

Alperian
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
9 years on this thread is still helping. Thank you!

Sanchon
10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
I have assigned "deselect all" command to "x" key and "sel switch" command to space key.

jeric_synergy
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
9 years on this thread is still helping. Thank you!
But, it is correct?

In my reading, no. What the OP was missing (I think) was, TMK, there's NO way to deselect until the user first 'drops the tool'. As far as I know (AFAIK), you must drop the tool before you can deselect.

Ohhhh, the many times I've wished I could just drop the tool and continue to work on the whole object. You'd think that, because you'd be limited to the entire object since nothing was selected, that this sequence wouldn't be all that useful, but I've literally wanted to do just that THOUSANDS (yes, literally) of times.

GAHD, now that I've said that, I certainly hope it's impossible....