PDA

View Full Version : Forum has lost its mind and friendliness

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Tried to edit a post and typed a whole bunch of stuff. THEN it tells me that I am outside of the five minute limit which I definitely wasn't.

Why the HE1L can't it just not allow me to type, popping up that infernal and irritating message about talking to an admin BEFORE I type?

Why not just get rid of the edit button since you, NewTek, are having issues with how people are dealing with their posts? That seems more conducive to our getting it right the first time than just being irritatingly wasteful of our time in attempting to help fellow users.

Danmed annoying.

oDDity
11-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Yes, I've never seen anything like it, apart from one forum where there was a time restriciton of 10 minutes between making posts.
I guess we'll just have to get used to using the preview button to check before posting, and make a new post if you want to add anything.

oDDity
11-23-2006, 11:28 AM
If it's a spam thing, then all they have to do is make it so that a moderator has to check the first post of any new user before it appears on the board, that will kill spam without inconveniencing other users.

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Truly agreed, oDDity. Inconveniencing the spammers would seem to be the better alternative than we actual users of the forum. Even new users could endure the wait to be verified as real users. Heck, get a serial code or hand them out or something... but put it back like it was.
Just not feeling the love... feeling punished for just being here.

ingo
11-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Have you ever tried to type with two fingers, its twice as fast ;) So Newteks unhuman behaviour ruined another novel.....

Bog
11-23-2006, 03:13 PM
We are getting more spam posts recently, I'm sure.

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, the trolls and spammers seem to be abounding.

Have you ever tried to type with two fingers, its twice as fast ;) So Newteks unhuman behaviour ruined another novel.....

ingo
11-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Forum has lost its mind and friendliness....
Danmed annoying.

Yes indeed.

3dworks
11-24-2006, 01:48 AM
agreed... maybe someone could write a script to give more time to anyone who is frequenting this forum a lot - let's say over 100 messages?

Exception
11-24-2006, 08:38 AM
agreed... maybe someone could write a script to give more time to anyone who is frequenting this forum a lot - let's say over 100 messages?

nah.. 2000...
:)

UnCommonGrafx
11-24-2006, 10:07 AM
That's a good number.
;)

Titus
11-24-2006, 10:17 AM
No it isn't :grumpy:.

MiniFireDragon
11-24-2006, 10:34 AM
From what I have read in previous topics, the only time the 2 minute edit rule (and other things) were in place were back during the previous open beta. Since we are in open beta again, they have been reimplemented. One of the forum members even speculated (before newtek said anything) that within the next few days the beta would be released. And sure enough out comes newtek with the open beta.

Jim_C
11-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Forum has lost its mind and friendliness

Oh yea..? Wanna fight about it???

:2guns:

Chuck
11-25-2006, 08:12 AM
From what I have read in previous topics, the only time the 2 minute edit rule (and other things) were in place were back during the previous open beta. Since we are in open beta again, they have been reimplemented. One of the forum members even speculated (before newtek said anything) that within the next few days the beta would be released. And sure enough out comes newtek with the open beta.

There was never any relationship between Open Beta activities and editing time. We used to have unlimited editing time, and the moderation team changed that in response to users who were making use of the editing to first accomplish then cover-up inappropriate behaviors such as violations of forum rules. That took place just before the first Open Beta, but the timing was coincidental. When there was another change in the time allowed for editing recently before the new Open Beta, that was coincidental as well, and also inadvertent - a moderator just edited the wrong field while working on another issue.

The moderation team is considering revising to a longer time than current.

Bog
11-25-2006, 08:14 AM
I assume the negligent typist has been duly flogged?

;)

UnCommonGrafx
11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the response, Chuck. I've seen the conversations as well as understanding the issues you guys are having to deal with in keeping the cool community you've worked very hard to engender.
I hope you guys consider the idea of a script that ties such limits into the longevity of said users to the forums. I know that it's not an easy fix. I do, though, appreciate the comment and the chance to vent. ;)

Take care and hope the holidays were good for you.

Edit: for the fun of it.

Jim_C
11-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I've seen the conversations as well as understanding the issues you guys are having to deal with in keeping the cool community you've worked very hard to engender.
I hope you guys consider the idea of a script that ties such limits into the longevity of said users to the forums. .

But possibly some of the offenders are also the most engaged and deepest entrenched members of the forums.

UnCommonGrafx
11-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I've seen it. That's why it's not an easy fix. There seems to be a lot of effort being put into ...derailing the community spirit. Their techniques have improved and lots seem to be 'home grown', as it were.

Oh well... here's to hoping that the tools of NewTek diminish their voices of vice.

Tzan
11-25-2006, 11:00 AM
If the change to a shorter time was an accident, why are they just "considering" fixing it? :)

Thanks for the answer. It sure seemed like more than a coincidence at the time.
The timing doesnt effect me much, but I do like to fix tiepoes.

Bog
11-25-2006, 11:28 AM
If the change to a shorter time was an accident, why are they just "considering" fixing it? :)

Presumably because of previous incidences of what Chuck had said - people breaking the forum rules with their posts, then editing the offensive material away and saying "I didn't do it!"

oDDity
11-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Well why not just put a time limit on those guilty accounts for restricted editing of posts, rather than flogging everyone.

MiniFireDragon
11-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks Chuck! But it is funny the coincidences.

hrgiger
11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I agree that there should be a time limit to people editing their posts, but I do think it should be longer then 2 minutes. How about an hour?

Lightwolf
11-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Well, I'll surely have more spelling errors in my posts then ;)
(I sometimes fix them days later :p )

It would be nice if vBulletin would keep a history of edits for every posts that is public (a bit like Wikipedia). That would basically make the whole point of changing time limits due to people "hiding" their initial post worthless.

I do see the point though, but 30 mins. to 1 hour it should be imho....

Cheers,
Mike

hairy_llama
11-25-2006, 11:21 PM
I agree, the 5 minutes limit is not good. It deletes ALL the new typed text if you are over five minutes... so you can not copy/paste into a "reply" after the five minutes, thus ruining my 10 minutes of typing :(

Silkrooster
11-26-2006, 01:07 AM
I have no problems with a time limit as long as the community is aware of the time length. Then if they try to edit past the deadline the only one they can blame is them self.(why does that last sentence sound grammatically incorrect? lol)
Silk