PDA

View Full Version : LW Plugins Directory

Andy Webb
11-23-2006, 08:21 AM
This has got to be me being stupid but how do I change the path to the plugin directory in LW9?

I normally set my plugins to \\\\my computer\\xxx\\xxx etc.

I've never had this problem before, I've tried search and replace in Notebook but
after openning and closing LW modeller, the path is reset to C:\\program files\\xxxx etc.

It's always worked fine in LW8.5 so what am I missing in LW9?

Thanks

Andy

Bog
11-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Hummm.

Not sure I'm reading you right here, but all your plugin locations are kept in C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\LWEXT9.CFG

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Andy Webb
11-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Hummm.

Not sure I'm reading you right here, but all your plugin locations are kept in C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\LWEXT9.CFG

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

No you would normally be right, but I'm using the -c switch so that I can use config files from a different directory.

The -c switch is working fine, it's just that I like to use a network path to my plugins so that I can access them off the one computer when network rendering.

What seems to be happening is that Modeler is scanning the plugins directory when I open it, but not using the path I want. I can force it to scan the network path to my plugins directory and that works untill the next time I open modeller when everything resets.

Andy

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 09:18 AM
are you doing the proper nomenclature in the shortcut, e.g.,
-cm:\configs\normal -pm:\configs\normal
?
The -p being for where you want lw to find the plugins.

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 09:29 AM
I had a much better post that has been lost in the stupidity of this forum...

It doesn't matter where modeler is pointing to if the info in the lwext9.cfg is pointing in the right place, i.e., "networkdrive//plugins/plugin", as that is what screamernet will see.

Also, it's strongly recommended that you make an SN directory for sn as it will lessen your hassles.

Check where the lwext9.cfg says your plugs are as that's more important than where modeler points you in loading your plugs.

Andy Webb
11-23-2006, 09:30 AM
are you doing the proper nomenclature in the shortcut, e.g.,
-cm:\configs\normal -pm:\configs\normal
?
The -p being for where you want lw to find the plugins.

Now that's a new one on me, -p where did that come from?

Never had to use that in the past!

Where is this info, in the docs?

Andy

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Man, made me look...

For the 9 pdf it is on page 475 in the LW_v9-Surface_and_Render_print.pdf. It starts there and then goes on to explain other parameters. Some of them, I've never seen or at least don't remember. The -t parameter comes to mind.

Andy Webb
11-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Man, made me look...

For the 9 pdf it is on page 475 in the LW_v9-Surface_and_Render_print.pdf. It starts there and then goes on to explain other parameters. Some of them, I've never seen or at least don't remember. The -t parameter comes to mind.

Thanks for that info, been looking but couldn't find it.

I now can't get Modeller to open all of a sudden :(

Had this before but as usual can't remeber what I did to resolve it, I'll get some modelling one day!

Oh what fun.

Andy

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Can't say I've had this happen. I've seen it talked about here and about, though, so you might want to do a search for it.
You on a mac?

UnCommonGrafx
11-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56557

Andy Webb
11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks Robert.

I've had no problems for a while, until now.

Andy

Andy Webb
11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Well I've tried everything and the Plugins directory always defaults to the C drive.

I've tried the -p switch, I've tried UNC paths and I've tried mapped drives, I've opened LWEXT9.CFG and used Find and Replace, Ive also scanned the plugins directory, but every time I re-open and then close modeller the LWEXT9.CFG file defaults all the plugins to the C drive.

The only way I can see this happening is if modeller scans a default plugins location everytime modeller opens?

Any other ideas?

By the way I'm on a PC, LW32, Win XP and I'm off to bed :(

Thanks

Andy

R.Feeney
11-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Try opening options in modeler and unticking autoscan plugins at the bottom of the panel

Andy Webb
11-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Try opening options in modeler and unticking autoscan plugins at the bottom of the panel

Your the man!

I have gone through modeller I don't know how many times looking for something like that.

It's done the trick alright, I had already switched Scan Plugins off in layout but couldn't find it in modeller, so I just assumed it wasn't an option.

It speeds up opening modeller too.

I do wish NT would stay consistant, why are modeller options spread about in different option panels, why are they not grouped together into one panel like they are in layout?

Many thanks.

Andy

Andy

R.Feeney
11-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Cool, glad to help