PDA

View Full Version : Servantsroom

Svenart
11-23-2006, 07:34 AM
Hello all. I did this image a few weeks ago using some photos from the rooms of Castle Neuschwanstein (Bavaria, Germany) as reference. Rendered with 3 Arealights, no Radiosity. Rendertime was about 20minutes. Hope you like it, thanks for viewing.:lightwave

http://medievalworlds.com/Bilder/topimages2/dienerraum_044t.jpg

oDDity
11-23-2006, 08:06 AM
It's a nice render, good models, but not photoreal, if that was your intent. There's too much unbroken specularity on the wood, or rather the gloss is too low. The metal is too washed out, it tends to have more contrast than that, and the lighting doesn't seem realistic, the candle on he table for example looks as though it's floating.
The foreground table and chairs look the best.

starbase1
11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
The furniture looks a bit out of scale to me, to big. Or maybe it was really like that?

Svenart
11-24-2006, 11:14 AM
to oditty: when you ask me if I wanted to make this image photoreal the answer is yes and no, because of the rendertime was also very important for me (want to use this for animations). This was also the reason for using this lighting. Because of Radiosity is much too slow for rendering animations on a single pc I decided to simulate something like and flashlight... The idea behind this was, that a flashlight is (near behind the camera) making everthing bright so I dont need radiosity anymore. I know Itīs not looking 100% real, but its very fast. The candle is floating, but only .5mm... Thanks for your suggestions about specmapping...

oDDity
11-24-2006, 12:20 PM
When I say the candle is floating, I'm mean because there is a hard specular hit right at the bottom of it which should show up as a reflection.
I also put more contrast in the silver objects.
More like this:

http://www.pixelwerks.be/pictures/candle.jpg

It's really minor touches like this that make a big difference.
This is fine for animation though, it has a nice style.

Svenart
11-25-2006, 04:15 AM
yes you are absolutely right. It looks now better for me, too (specially under the candlestick). thank you:)