PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro disappointment.

BazC
11-23-2006, 03:15 AM
Well my new machine arrived last weekend and I love it! The build quality is superb but one thing is a huge disappointment. The CD/DVD drive is fine most of the time until you want to watch a DVD. Then it becomes REALLY noisy, I almost rang Applecare because I felt sure it was a fault but I've just checked on the Apple forums and it seems to be normal. Many people are buying second drives because of the racket the default drive makes. I have the Pioneer superdrive but apparently the Sony drive that Apple also uses is even worse!

This is not acceptable in a machine marketed on quality IMO. My one hope is that a firmware update may improve matters because some DVDs are much worse than others so it seems like a software issue?

Rant over, I'm not that p'd off, it's a fairly minor issue but not what I expect from Apple, drives in my previous iMac and eMac have been excellent.

mike_stening
11-23-2006, 03:48 AM
the noise doesn't bug me too much, but the fact that the drive will randomly decide if it will read a disk at all does, it even gets bored an decides it doesn't want to read a disk any more even when it is already in the drive and mounted. brilliant.8/

BazC
11-23-2006, 04:06 AM
That IS bad! I haven't experienced that (yet?) is that a common problem? Maybe you should contact Apple, the superdrive on my eMac does that but since it's about 4 years old I figure it's entitled! :D

mike_stening
11-23-2006, 04:11 AM
couple of the intel macs in our studio do it, they eventually get the message with repeated insertion of the disk, will get our support company on it at some point but don't want to cause mac problems in the studio as we have only just got these settled in after a break in. can be a pain though.

BazC
11-23-2006, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the info, hope they get it sorted!

toby
11-24-2006, 12:33 AM
That sucks! I'm planning on getting one when I find out whether I can get an 8-core or not, I would HATE to have the grinding noise my G3 used to have.

My one hope is that a firmware update may improve matters because some DVDs are much worse than others so it seems like a software issue?

I think it's a balance issue. All dvd's are a little bit different, and that difference is readily apparent at 10,000 rpms, or whatever they spin at.

BazC
11-24-2006, 02:17 AM
That sucks! I'm planning on getting one when I find out whether I can get an 8-core or not, I would HATE to have the grinding noise my G3 used to have.

I think it's a balance issue. All dvd's are a little bit different, and that difference is readily apparent at 10,000 rpms, or whatever they spin at.

Well it's not a grinding or rattling noise, it actually sounds like a fan (that's what I thought it was at first) but it definitely seems to be coming from the cd drive. I suppose I ought to take the side panel off and make sure, I'm not used to being able to get inside the beast yet after using iMac and eMacs.

Oddly last night I played a DVD that was always incredibly noisy (like a vacuum cleaner!) but last night it I could barely hear the drive. I thought maybe something had "bedded in" and cured the problem but no. I took the DVD out this morning, put it back and played it and it's as noisy as ever! :(

byte_fx
11-24-2006, 03:28 AM
Sounds as though you have one with a Pioneer drive - they're noisier than the Sonys. But the Sonys can suffer from speed problems.

There are firmware patches floating around the 'net aimed at improving both drives but generally they have to be installed from a PC.

byte_fx

BazC
11-24-2006, 03:39 AM
Yes I have the Pioneer drive. The firmware info sounds encouraging, I have the latest firmware from Apple but maybe they'll release another patch. Thanks for the info!

al3d
11-24-2006, 09:30 AM
it's a problem with the drives..they changed mine after 1 week

BazC
11-25-2006, 01:48 AM
it's a problem with the drives..they changed mine after 1 week
Hmm, I might give Applecare a ring after all then. Thanks for the info!

John the Geek
11-25-2006, 05:54 AM
I haven't noticed it in mine, but I only use the drive once in a great while too.

I copied some DVDs to my iPod recently though and it seemed to be fine.

mike_stening
11-28-2006, 07:14 AM
mines a sony, and it is very noisey when burning discs or just reading from a disc, but it doesn't bother me too much but the misreading does.