PDA

View Full Version : LightWave UB Screenshot 11/22/06

Chilton
11-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi,

<moved from other thread>

We thought it over, and decided maybe we could provide one preview screenshot at this time.

The following is an unaltered screenshot of a window in the Universal Binary running on a stock MacBook Pro. It has a 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo chip, 1Gb of 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM, and is running MacOSX 10.4.8. Please bear in mind that there may be changes in the product by the time it ships.

This is one of our benchmark scenes, Virus.lws, with only the default settings. The UB build render came in at 32.8 seconds in this run. For comparison, the same render on the same system running Windows-native LightWave under Bootcamp with 32-bit Windows XP came in at 35.7 seconds. We wouldn't view that as an accurate head-to-head performance comparison with Windows as primary OS on an otherwise identical system, but for those who are running under Bootcamp until the UB is ready, it gives some idea of our progress with UB.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
11-23-2006, 01:55 AM
I think it's awful that NewTek won't give you your own serial number. Forshame!

Oh, and thanks for the heads-up. Not really sure what I'm looking at but thanks anyway!

harlan
11-23-2006, 02:27 AM
And how is that screenshot indicative of LW UB?? I'd rather have seen a shot of a "Get Info" of the LW app, so we could see the mighty "Universal" rather than "PowerPC". ;)

Thank you though.

PS - Why are the backgrounds of the input fields always "white" in LW on the Mac? Just curious. Am I the only one that finds it incredibly annoying and inconsistent with the rest of the UI?? ;)

PPS - I'm just bustin yer... ummm... spheres.

BazC
11-23-2006, 03:17 AM
PS - Why are the backgrounds of the input fields always "white" in LW on the Mac? Just curious. Am I the only one that finds it incredibly annoying and inconsistent with the rest of the UI??

Nope I hate that too, very distracting! I didn't realise it was a Mac only thing though!

Jeffers
11-23-2006, 03:43 AM
PS - Why are the backgrounds of the input fields always "white" in LW on the Mac? Just curious. Am I the only one that finds it incredibly annoying and inconsistent with the rest of the UI?? ;)

I'm sure they weren't in LW8 on Mac! The white backgrounds are a pain with some plugs like NFX2 which defaults it's input field text to a very light blue - you can't read it without highlighting it! :thumbsdow

Kuzey
11-23-2006, 05:02 AM
Hey....I thought the UB version was going to be all metal looking like :D

Kuzey

BazC
11-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Hey....I thought the UB version was going to be all metal looking like :D

Kuzey

Shudder! Don't even think it LOL! I hate that brushed metal look, Mail looks much better in 10.4 with the plain grey interface!

Kuzey
11-23-2006, 07:01 AM
I was going to mention Mail but I did remember Chilton saying something about metal :hey:

But, yes mail is sooooooo much better.

:D

Kuzey

Kuzey
11-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Ps. I do like the "Discovery Mode" text all over the interface, makes it look sexy :lightwave

Kuzey

dsol
11-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Has no-one else noticed a fundamental difference in the UI as a result of the transition? The fonts in the interface are all anti-aliased - awesome! Much prettier, less eye strain and entirely more modern-looking.

I'm very excited. It really is looking like a much more mac-like app! Yay Chilton! :thumbsup:

Darth Mole
11-23-2006, 10:03 AM
I just thought they were blurry :)

gerry_g
11-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I notice the Render Prevue is cunningly covering the build number........Hmmm this is the UB isn't it Chilton ??

Has no-one else noticed a fundamental difference in the UI as a result of the transition? The fonts in the interface are all anti-aliased - awesome! Much prettier, less eye strain and entirely more modern-looking.

I got my thirty inch Cinema display yesterday, my eyestrain quota just dropped to around zero, I can even see Lightwaves nose hair now.....

Chilton
11-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Gerry,

Yes, this is the UB, and it's running on a MacBook Pro. However, secret code names and other similar such internal information are something we try to keep quiet. But maybe if you click the image really hard, you can move that window ;-)

-Chilton

toby
11-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks Chil!
So this is what the beta people are using now?
I'd join but I have no time -

ingo
11-23-2006, 03:04 PM
...PS - Why are the backgrounds of the input fields always "white" in LW on the Mac? Just curious. Am I the only one that finds it incredibly annoying and inconsistent with the rest of the UI??....

Huh, they are lightgrey. I guess you didn't realized it because of the fuzzy font that make everything hard to read, especially on an LCD screen. Hopefully one can read ALL numbers in the inputfield now, and not only the last ones.

BTW, this is a screenshot from the Windows version, we all know there is no virus on the Mac ;) (i know, i know, its late and the redwine is empty...).