PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels: Won't show behind semitransparent polys? (Bug?)

DiscoBurgess
11-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Pretty much what the topic says. I need to use "Ray Trace Transparency" in order to get hypervoxels to show through a semitransparent polygon (ie one with any kind of transparency set in the surface editor).

Problem is, this is working out very slow. Is this actually a bug? Or is this just the way hypervoxels work?

bobakabob
11-22-2006, 05:22 PM
It's the way they work :)

DiscoBurgess
11-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Well darn it.

Time to start baking them onto billboards, then :(

creativecontrol
11-23-2006, 04:07 AM
Ya it's too bad.

dsd_design
11-23-2006, 11:43 PM
an old old old old bug :).I always knew it. I hoped that it is corrected in version 9 but not....patience :).....

DSD

arsad
11-24-2006, 01:00 AM
in 9 you can use the perspective camera and they render behind transparent
polys (without raytrace transparency)

DiscoBurgess
11-24-2006, 01:53 AM
True, although it seems like renders the problem area of the screen at the same speed as 'RTT' does. Still, good tip, cheers.

toby
11-27-2006, 03:44 AM
Pretty much what the topic says. I need to use "Ray Trace Transparency" in order to get hypervoxels to show through a semitransparent polygon (ie one with any kind of transparency set in the surface editor).

Problem is, this is working out very slow. Is this actually a bug? Or is this just the way hypervoxels work?
Actually this is one of the only reasons raytrace transparency was added - to render HV behind glass. Hyprevoxels are like other volumetrics, they're a 2D post-process rendering, and they're slow - adding raytracing slows them more. If you want to speed it up you can render the HV separately without raytrace transparency and composite them into the final image.

Reducing the raytrace recursions can save you a lot of time too.

DiscoBurgess
11-27-2006, 03:59 AM
In the end, I used some old hypervoxel image sequences I made a while ago, since I only needed a few big fiery particles. Worked out pretty well, and saved a load of time (aside from the initial setup: multiple versions of the same image sequence mapped onto billboards can still cause LW to crash, and are still a major pain to setup and save without accidentally overwriting other ones).

A few sprite-hypervoxels completed the illusion, as well as use of the Perspective Camera.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm a bit more aware of the pitfalls of this kind of scene now, and what I can do about it.