PDA

View Full Version : New Workstation Advice

fgreen
11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Greetings, I'm looking to upgrade to a new workstation. In addition to LW, I'll also need the machine for general multimedia development, using the adobe video bundle, Dreamweaver / Flash web bundles and Director Shockwave Studio (32 bit), and would like any advice or opinions on the following:

1) Has anyone used the new Intel Quad-cores with LW. I'm thinking of buying a Dell Precision 690 with double quad core processors, and am wondering if the performance increase is worth the price difference from a double dual-core processor system?

2) Has anyone tried to run 32 bit Adobe apps (or any other 32-bit apps) on 64 bit Windows, and how did they run? Are there any other pitfalls from going to Win 64 bit at this time?

3) Has anyone tried to run 64 bit Windows with a Matrox RTX100 or RTX2 video editing board, and how well does it work?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I haven't kept up with hardware advances, since buying my current workstation a few years ago.
Also, I've just started trying to make sense of the 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.