PDA

View Full Version : Seperating the color channels

exit6
11-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi --
I've been doing a lot of stuff where I render black and white images and take them in to After Effects and using a luminance tracking matte, applying that data to a texture layer. It's a way to make an animation look like it's drawn with a pencil or something, all white would be a scan of paper and all black would be a scan of paper colored dark, if you're following me. The texture remains static, like a projection map would. I've been trying to figure how I could add color to this look. Is there a way for lightwave to render each channel seperately, or only render certain surfaces?

I've attached a sample so you can see the black and white look. This one simulates a poor quality black and white print. Thanks --

avkills
11-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Well AE can extract the color information. You can take a RGB asset and remove certain color channels; that might possibly work.

-mark

dsol
11-22-2006, 07:00 AM
Rather than using a luma track matte, try putting your texture layer above the picture and using combinations of layer blending modes to get the look you want (soft light. hard light, multiply, linear burn, classic colour burn).

That way, you keep the colour infomation of the original image. Though you'll probably want to tweak the saturation/levels of the source image as well.

Creative usage of colour blending modes really is one of the best ways to make your animations look "da shiznit" in AE :)

exit6
11-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Right, the blending modes thing works for some stuff, but when you isolate the channels and basically replace them with a texture you get this real nice organic look. Plus it looks realistic, like for example you rendered each frame, printed it up, xeroxed it, then scanned it in and compiled the result.

For the image I attached, I would like to make one of those balls red, say. The only way I know to isolate it would be to give that ball it's own layer and make the rest of the object a matte object, so it only gives me the red part plus I keep the alpha info. This would look right but would get very tedious very quickly in an actual animation. If I could do it by surface, on the other hand, and could tell lightwave to only render such and such surface it would make life much easier.

avkills
11-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Why not render your objects out all separately and then comp them all in AE. Yes lots of renders, but that is probably the only way to do it.

-mark

exit6
11-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Well that's how I have to do it. It's no big deal for this little object but for anything complex it gets bad quickly.