PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with ram and lightwave?

LORDCHILL
11-21-2006, 08:39 PM
I have read that the more ram you have the better.So, upon upgrading to 4Gb from 1Gb, i find that the segment memory limit only goes as high as 2Gb, when Inside Lightwave 7 page 245 says you can set it as high as your memory allows. Now is it going to use that extra ram that i put in, or only the segment memory limit? If that is the case then Dan Ablan isn't the god i've been led to believe, and i now have 2Gb of useless ram i could have spent on a third monitor, or better yet, beer....:grumpy:

UnCommonGrafx
11-21-2006, 09:30 PM
This is a windows issue. Unless you have a Mac... Which isn't clear by your post.

And yes, Dan is just a guy.

prospector
11-21-2006, 09:33 PM
probably he was using or refrenced WinXP64 which uses many many gigs of ram

KorbenD
11-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Upgrade to Windows XP 64 bit Edition to allow the use of more than 2GB of RAM.

LORDCHILL
11-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm using windows XP pro. But that should make no difference as windows can handle 4GB of ram (max.), it recognizes i have it in my system information, but when i try to set my segment memory limit, it maxes out at 2000mb.
I bet it wasn't him but one of his co-writers, messing with his godness:rock:
Just seen that last post,i was sure that xp pro could handel up to 4GB?

LORDCHILL
11-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Windows sucks. What is with those idiots anyway?

KorbenD
11-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm using windows XP pro. But that should make no difference as windows can handle 4GB of ram (max.), it recognizes i have it in my system information, but when i try to set my segment memory limit, it maxes out at 2000mb.
I bet it wasn't him but one of his co-writers, messing with his godness:rock:
Just seen that last post,i was sure that xp pro could handel up to 4GB?

Windows XP can *recognize* 4GB of RAM (usually 3GB max depending on the system board, RAM, and hoops you've gone through to force XP to show the extra). However, it will only allow the use of 2GB max per program, with some exceptions.

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/20342

LORDCHILL
11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
So 64 bit would fix that (Place A thousands curses directed at Redmond here)?

DogBoy
11-22-2006, 02:34 AM
or if you want to stick to 32bit Windows just use the /PAE or /3GB switch in your boot.ini file, this will allocate 1 GB to system and 3GB to applications and Lightwave will suck it all up ;).

Not sure why no-one mentioned this before really.

glebe digital
11-22-2006, 03:36 AM
Yes XP64 will allow you to run as much RAM as you've got...........but remember quite a few plug-ins aren't 64-bit ready..........yet!

Exception
11-22-2006, 07:26 AM
or if you want to stick to 32bit Windows just use the /PAE or /3GB switch in your boot.ini file, this will allocate 1 GB to system and 3GB to applications and Lightwave will suck it all up ;).

Not sure why no-one mentioned this before really.

Because it's potentially disastrous for the stability of your machine, incurs a speed and responsiveness hit, and still programs won't see the full 3GB.

prospector
11-22-2006, 08:49 AM
yea, I think exception did mention it in another ram thread, but with a warning that it was potentially dangerous if you know nothing about computers other than the start button, and he was not responsable if the compy blewup, melted down, became unworkable, took too many coffee breaks, went on strike, had babies, became self aware and designed a black hole on the desk, or any other of 1 million things that could go wrong.

well that's how I read it. :D

LORDCHILL
11-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes XP64 will allow you to run as much RAM as you've got...........but remember quite a few plug-ins aren't 64-bit ready..........yet!
are you talking LW 9? 'cause i'm still using 7 and have no real intention of upgradeing till they work all of the numerous bugs out of it....(which means by the time i do get it they will have v15 out.) And while i'm asking stupid questions, will my version run on 64bit machine, or do i need a special version? If so, i repeat my earlier question (what is with those idiots.....) and expand that to: no wonder so many people i know hate this crap.

prospector
11-22-2006, 06:53 PM
no, won't run on win64.
Talk to B.Gates about the ram issue. He'll get back to you tomorrow..... :D :D

and 8.5 is like rock solid as far as mine ran

LORDCHILL
11-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Yeah, i'd like to get 8.5 actually, but i haven't been able to find it. Probably not looking hard enough, or in the right places. I'm just feelin' a little pissy about an uneeded expenditure, 'tis all. Looks like i'll just pull the extra 1.5Gb and build a whole node around it. Wanted to move into screamernet anyway.Silver cloud, right......?
and i'll see Bill Gates in ****:devil: (i can't believe this thing censors H-E- double hockey sticks, but not pissy. weird & a bit extreme)

DogBoy
11-23-2006, 02:59 AM
are you talking LW 9? 'cause i'm still using 7 and have no real intention of upgradeing till they work all of the numerous bugs out of it.

In that case you ain't gonna get any improvement, as far as I know. I don't think 7 is PAE aware, so won't see more then 2GB of RAM anyway.

LORDCHILL
11-23-2006, 03:26 AM
Yeah. I'm not going to go messing around with that anyway. Stupid thing would probably come to life and kill me in my sleep like the demon turd that it is, under orders from 'ole four eyes himself. I wonder if he uses windows to run the built in luxuries of the palace/ninth gate to ****. Come to think of it, B.G. has nine letters.......ninth gate.......Gates.....something to think about.

KorbenD
11-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Pretty much any 32 bit application will run fine in XP 64. I haven't tested LW 7, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

Amadeus0
11-23-2006, 06:46 PM
LW7 wont see the Dongle on XP 64

Microsoft didn't come up with the 2GB application limitation. Intel did. Linux has the same problem Windows does in 32-bit land (it's an option in the kernel sources), but seems to handle it better.

glebe digital
11-24-2006, 03:37 AM
are you talking LW 9? 'cause i'm still using 7 and have no real intention of upgradeing till they work all of the numerous bugs out of it....(which means by the time i do get it they will have v15 out.) And while i'm asking stupid questions, will my version run on 64bit machine, or do i need a special version? If so, i repeat my earlier question (what is with those idiots.....) and expand that to: no wonder so many people i know hate this crap.

Hi, yes I'm using v9 in 64bit and all seems well, HUB working fine and it rarely crashes.
You'll need XPpro64 if you want to run LW in 64bit...........I'd say it's worth the expense, but you'll get no improvements out of your current LW unless you upgrade to 64bit version.:)

zapper1998
11-24-2006, 04:15 AM
I run Win XP 64 Pro on a 64 bit machine and 8 gig of ram and LW 64 runs good