PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Corrupted Models?

Mipmap
11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I saved a model I was making great progress on last night with no issue at all. Today I tried to load it and get the following error:

Format error 108 for loader $1_LWO2

Is there any tool or method for trying to get Lightwave to somehow import what it can from this model? I don't really understand what the deal is. I had no errors when saving, the file size looks normal from what I remember it being before this happened, and when opening both it and other models up in both text format and a hex editor aside from both looking like gibberish both of them looked consistent.

oDDity
11-21-2006, 02:54 AM
If you're lucky you'll jhave had the hub running and have the options set to save every so often, so you can use the last backup. [email protected] be in doc&settings/your user name/local settings/temp/lwhub.
Those auto backups have saved me quite a few times.

starbase1
11-21-2006, 02:59 AM
I have had my life saved by the hubs history, not least when an attempt to install wiped ALL my content directory! (Back up your content areas often).

It is also worth trying to load with older versions of lightwave and saving, or load into modeller if you had problems in layout. Other model translation utilities can also be a life saver, (E.g. Accutrans 3d).

I notice that modeller can be particularly fragile and wobbley with some imported OBJ files, but it is easily upset by dodgy geometry.

Nick

Limbus
11-21-2006, 03:20 AM
You could also try to load it with another 3D app that can read LWOs like Cinema 4D or Modo (just use the demo version).

Florian

lilrayray77
11-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Or, you could try saving your objects in intervals (object_001.lwo, object_002.lwo, ect). This way, if a model is lost, you simply go back to the previous interval.

Mipmap
11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah I always do the intervals thing as I really get going, but I had only just started. I'd made good progress though so I wanted to see about options of recovering it, otherwise I'll just eat it and start over.