PDA

View Full Version : Stars brighten when panning

asmith47
06-15-2003, 08:42 AM
I am doing a space scene that tracks a ship going past the camera with a whip pan. When the camera is turning at high speed, the motion blur on the stars seems to make them brighten and then they dim again as the pan slows down to follow the receding ship. A real camera would photograph the streaking stars with correspondingly dimmer levels due to the fact that the star is only exposing the film for the moment it passes by. LW blur seems to render the streaks at full brightness for the whole length of the blurred star. It looks very unnatural. Is there something I am missing?

I am using maximum AA, 50% blur length, with particle blur set to on.

Thanx!

bool
06-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a feature request...

toby
06-15-2003, 01:11 PM
is the stars' luminosity set higher than 100%? Set them at 100 max and you'll see them dim.

I've set mine to 200%, zoomed in on a blurred pixel and it's value ranges from 10 to 75% - so they do dim - play with the values - it's time to tweak!

The feature request should go to Electric Image - when you blur particles they turn dark grey, you CAN'T go past 100% on anything, so there's NOTHING you can do about it.

asmith47
06-17-2003, 02:48 AM
Luminosity is set for 100% on all stars. I used several instances of randomstars.lwo and adjusted the brightness and hue by changing the surface color. The brightest "white" stars have a color of 245 245 245. Should I be using pure hues and adjusting the luminosity instead? Thanks!

toby
06-17-2003, 03:03 AM
It's up to you, experiment !