PDA

View Full Version : Lw Dof

Andyjaggy
11-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Are there any plans in the works for updating LW's depth of field features? The standard DOF camera effects take a ridiculous amount of AA to get looking good, and digital confusion has it's own set of problems, mainly taking forever to process. It just seems like this is an area seriously in need of updating right now.

Captain Obvious
11-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Depth-of-field takes a ridiculus amount of anti-aliasing in ANY renderer. When I render with DOF in modo, I normally use 64 AA samples per pixel. Lightwave doesn't even go that high...

Just keep in mind that as you turn up anti-aliasing, you can turn down everything else.

Andyjaggy
11-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Well I guess I should feel better knowing it's not a LW specific fault. Still it would be nice for a new breakthrough in the way it's done and monumental speed increases. Maybe that's an area where LW could step ahead of the competition.

jeremyhardin
11-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Are there any plans in the works for updating LW's depth of field features? The standard DOF camera effects take a ridiculous amount of AA to get looking good, and digital confusion has it's own set of problems, mainly taking forever to process. It just seems like this is an area seriously in need of updating right now.

Yes there are plans for that. They mentioned them at siggraph and showed some renders with it. apparently DOF is going to be physically realistic and not be as dependent on AA passes. If I remember correctly that is.

Should still be viewable in the Siggraph demos?

Andyjaggy
11-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Interesting I will have to dig around for it. I guess that means it is planned for the 9.x release? I know there are plans for updating motion blur, and I imagine DOF would use similar technology.