PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Marketing idea

Speedmonk42
11-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Ok forgive me if this is totally impossible or been done before.

I suspect it is not technically convenienent, but what the hey. Please don't stab me for my stupidity.

What if the demo version of LW acted like [email protected], but allowed people to contribute to the rendering of thier favorite show? Assuming the data could be encrypted, they could 'lend' their computer to Stargate or BG or whatever. Even if it only provided the illusion of it, it might be cool.

You might find out what episode it is ahead of time, and then after it is aired see what frame your computer worked on.

All the while, the very software used in the show is right there.

cresshead
11-20-2006, 04:57 AM
unfortuantley the copyrighted assests for the tv show would have to be transfered to your pc..be they 3d models or the textures so it's really a non starter for commercial shows

such a thing could be useful for independent animations trying to get it rendered out cheaply though.:lwicon:

Speedmonk42
11-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, I agree that would be a problem. That is why I was wondering if the data could be encrypted somehow or protected.

It doesn't have to actually work... lol

metahumanity
11-20-2006, 03:16 PM
It doesn't have to actually work... lol

Nah, of that we´ve had our share, already. Let them concentrate on actually making stuff work :D :D

Speedmonk42
11-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Nah, of that we´ve had our share, already. Let them concentrate on actually making stuff work :D :D

Well what I actully meant was it didn't have to render the final output for the show to contribute. That is it could be used to render something else, low res storyboarding, or some small aspect that does not interrupt the workflow of the production.

I don't mean it should totally lie about what it is doing.

It would be really **** cool though to be able to it.

Sarford
11-22-2006, 04:48 PM
It would be a cool idear if by offering rendering power you'd be entitled to see the show without comercial intervals. Otherwise you'd only save the network some money...

Martin Adams
11-23-2006, 04:32 PM
It's an interesting idea, but I would assume that technically something like [email protected] is more processor intensive than RAM and texture intensive. Something like Stargate would probably eat your spare RAM and throttle your network bandwidth for it to work.

Personally I'd prefer to give my spare cycles to [email protected] for the benefit of humanity. But having said that, imagine if for example there was a web site that was linked in to a (potentially unlimited) number of host renderers. You could upload your scene to that and it would submit it to a batch render. The task would have to be cleverly written to only render small chunks, and cleverly limit the polygon count to that area, as well as textures, etc. That would be cool. Anyone using the site could in return add their machine to the pool. So a render that would normally take 4 hours could be done in, say, 20 minutes with about 15 (spare) computers attached.

Bog
11-23-2006, 04:56 PM
You know what would rock? ScreamerNet Screensavers. Like protein folding or [email protected] but for 3D geeks.

kopperdrake
11-24-2006, 03:41 AM
You know - i vaguely remember a screensaver render trigger thing which we used to use waaaaay back. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called but I definitely remember installing it on all of our 4 studio PCs (yes, we actually decreased our rendering time from years to months). It was a freebie too as we wouldn't have bought anything like that way back :D I *think* it was called something obvious like screamsaver, or summat.

<rummage on tinternet>

YAY!! Found it - it's now part of something called Lightnet which looks like it's being developed by a guy called Joe Justice - you can d/l it here:

http://www.joejustice.org/lightwave/lightnet/index.html

and it's free - bless 'im :D It's up-to-date for version 8 but maybe it works on 9?