PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why has LW never liked file save dialogs ??

F1Racer
11-19-2006, 05:50 AM
Since as far back as I can remember and right up to the 9.2beta, Lightwave has never liked windows file dialog boxes.

Why is LW crashing to desktop when file save dialogs are open ?
Many times after a render has finished (using F9 not F10), I decide to save it.
Thats where Im dicing with danger. Usually as soon as I start typing the filename, I get a CTD.
I'm really not comfortable with the LW dialog boxes and prefer the usual Windows ones but LW is very shaky in this dept.

Is anyone else getting this or do you all use F10 for renders ? I'm an F9'er just out of habit.
Just so much time lost with losing renders, its frustrating.
I`ll have to get used to rendering with F10 I know, but surely thats not the solution. If this is a genuine bug (and from my point of view it looks like it is), then it does need sorting out once and for all.

Right... lets render that scene AGAIN!

Extent
11-19-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't know, I've never had that problem, if I'm not using Fprime I'm using F9, and I switch off between the image viewer and FP image viewer. I occationally remember getting crashes w/ the image viewer when having a bunch of huge renders loaded into it but nothing in particular with any of the dialogs.

Have you been able to replicate this problem under different circumstances (different machine, new os install, etc.)?

Matt
11-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, I had a similar problem when I tried to import an eps into Modeler.

If I left the dialog box open without clicking on anything, after several seconds it would just bomb to desktop.

Not sure whether it's been fixed in my case, or whether it was a Windows thing that has been fixed, because it's not happened in a while. But then, I'm not hanging around when I import anymore! But I don't like the feeling I have when I do, never know if it will go!

Exception
11-19-2006, 08:47 AM
What 'module' is stated when this crash happens?
I honestly believe, but I could be wrong, that windows is entirely responsible for these dialogs.

I have never in my 9 years with lw encountered this issue...

oDDity
11-19-2006, 09:11 AM
I've had this problem as well, but strangely it only ever crashed while I was browsing on the desktop, never anywhere else.
I have a mortal fear of trying to open anything from the desktop with LW.
This was with the windows dialog.

Exception
11-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I've heard somewhere though that LW will crash when a windows dialog is open for too long... Just open one and let it sit for a while... to test...

Matt
11-19-2006, 11:37 AM
I've had this problem as well, but strangely it only ever crashed while I was browsing on the desktop, never anywhere else.
I have a mortal fear of trying to open anything from the desktop with LW.
This was with the windows dialog.

That is exactly where I was browsing when it bombed.

Extent
11-19-2006, 03:55 PM
I can't make it happen. I've got a load object dialog and EPSF loader dialog open right now on the desktop for about an hour and they're still sitting just fine. I'll leave them open while I go for lunch though, just to be sure.

Win XP SP1, LW9, using "List" mode

lwaddict
11-19-2006, 04:29 PM
It's not just Lightwave.

I've had to solve this problem at my 9-5 (Network Admin there) and if memory serves me correctly, it's something to do with caching and something from the net. Can't remember all the details right now since I'm on vacation and nowhere near my notes...

but it's not Lightwave.

No such problems here on any of my three seats.
But I've had it at work with Lightwave and other programs, including MS Office apps.

F1Racer
11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm, I dont get this problem with any other app.
To be honest Im not sure if it does it on my office computer. I`ll have to try it out and see if I can replicate it there.

Exception: There's no module stated, its a plain old CTD with LW totally quitting as if I`d just closed it.

It seems to happen when saving mostly. And just as Im typing in the file name too.

Exception
11-19-2006, 05:40 PM
What's a CTD?
So, it doesn't crash, but it quits?
there's no, 'A program error has occured' kinda thing?

Red_Oddity
11-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Crash To Desktop?

Anyhoo, never had this before, or atleast, never paid any attention whether or not a windows file dialog was open or not when a program just went 'poof'.

Ratboy
11-19-2006, 05:47 PM
I've had this happen a few times too. It doesn't crash, it just disappears. I finally got used to keeping my work folders off the desktop and haven't had it happen since.

prospector
11-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I find the best render display is QV40 by Ernie Wright.
You can check all color and alpha channels or save as such, add text after render, shows hot pixels,keeps notes and such, saves to any format that's on your compy (single frame),and holds the last 10 renders so you can go back and check your test results for best output.
And NEVER crashes

Matt
11-20-2006, 08:37 AM
I can't make it happen. I've got a load object dialog and EPSF loader dialog open right now on the desktop for about an hour and they're still sitting just fine. I'll leave them open while I go for lunch though, just to be sure.

Win XP SP1, LW9, using "List" mode

I'm on SP2 of XP Pro, could be that.

fyffe
01-05-2007, 04:43 PM
The crash itself is likely caused by some plugin in windows not playing nice with the file dialog. However, we can't let NewTek off the hook for this, since my own applications had the same behaviour until I properly called the CoInitialize function. Once I added the proper use of CoInitialize, the problem has occurred 0% in my applications.

I have mentioned this to the NewTek guys several times, but the reply was essentially that it's probably more complex than that, and surely they would have thought of that. But I don't recall them every trying it or checking the code for how their CoInitialize is handled!

Anyway, that's my rant. Looks like a 5 minute fix to me, but the bug has been there for a very long time. I'm still getting it on my 9.2 to this day.

- Graham Fyffe

fyffe
01-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Possible work-around. Check it out:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=478792#post478792

faulknermano
01-07-2007, 11:59 PM
I find the best render display is QV40 by Ernie Wright.

ditto..

btw, i've never experienced this bug.

zardoz
01-08-2007, 03:06 AM
I've had this crash using the lightwave file dialogs, not the windows ones...

starbase1
01-08-2007, 05:20 AM
I have had this, and worked out how to avoid it.

May not apply in all circumstances, but I found it happening a LOT when I was doing seriously big renders, (say thousands of pixels across), particularly if other memory hogs were running. Sometimes crashing on display, sometimes on save.

The answer I found was:

1. Render to disk, not to screen. This avoids firing up an extra load of the memory to display it.

2. Render to a simple uncompressed format like BMP, to stop it trying to load up a copy to compress, and doing sums on it. :D

Nick

Archigram
04-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks to this thread I seem to have solved a problem I keep running into: a frame renders fine but the same scene would crash when saving to a QT file. Assuming there was some bug in my scn file I would import all the objects to a new file and it would render all right--for a while. But another file might begin to crash. I was using PNG compression, and this was the only variable I hadn't thought to try changing--but now I have, and find that if I render a few frames using a different compression I can switch back to PNG and all is well. I don't understand why, but the reason must be contained in the above thread, so many thanks guys for steering my in the right direction!