PDA

View Full Version : Surfaces & Materials

Pablo Argaluza
11-18-2006, 05:44 AM
There is lots of years since iīm telling my friends that Lightwave needs another oproach to surfaces. Since V 5.0
Then come Lightwave V 8 and you could achieve better results with the gradients, translucency, etc.
I feel it was on the right track, but you have to work a lot, and have a good understanding of the physics of light. (Donīt get me wrong, Iīm An Optometrist and Optician, and i like to work with light)....
Then comes V 9 and things got real with all those many options at your disposal. Great work!! but....
I mean, you can now get where you want, but it requires a master in physics and very much experimentation whith the software.
Since years iīve been saying: Why donīt they just make a little effort and include the most used surfaces in a way they can be used universally??.
I mean: Human Skin. And a slider for the thikness. Just that. You can make your own with the colour, roughness, etc. by variying the apropiated setups.
And, what about: Brushed metal??, and you can specify the size of your objet and the colour, etc. by your own.

I know. You are thinking: buy Maxwell render. But now you can do that with LW V 9 (and a degree in physics and a master in programing of course).

What iīm thinking of is a rebirth of the early days when the CG programs required programing knowledge.
Then comes Lightwave to the Amiga (remember that?) and it was easy to use. Simple to afford and had one of the most visual atractive renderers of the time. You can watch any effect on the cinema or Tv and you can say: Hey, i know how i can do that in Lightwave.
Lightwave was a very innovative program that was increasing the realism and posibilities of the software by adding more complexity with the time.
Things are getting too complicated as time comes. But it havenīt need to be that way. Remember MS-Dos?......., and now look OS-X or Vista, Media Center or whatever. Now itīs easier to use a computer than a decade. Things start to get very user friendly even to my grandmother.
and my question is: Why things get so complicated every day in the CG industry? Is it for the added realism we can get now? or is it for the wrong direction of the software developers?
Donīt you think it is a better direction to make things easier?, and hide those complex settings under the advanced tabs?.
Donīt you think it will be better that we can start to talk about Artists and not "Digital Artists".
More Artists could jump if they can do little things that look convincing.

I invite you to ask yourself if anyone could disaprove a Maxwell renderer aproach to the existing Lightwave surface and lighting engine. Maybe in V X.0
And where do you think Lightwave would be if the V.8 where like that?. Wouldnīt it be innovative for that time?, and wasnīt Newtek knowed for their innovative aproach to software?
I know brilliant ideas doesnīt come every day, but any genious have to be able to recognice their errors once. Thatīs what i think.
Donīt you???

theo
11-18-2006, 07:21 AM
There is lots of years since iīm telling my friends that Lightwave needs another oproach to surfaces. Since V 5.0
Then come Lightwave V 8 and you could achieve better results with the gradients, translucency, etc...............

.......... know brilliant ideas doesnīt come every day, but any genious have to be able to recognice their errors once. Thatīs what i think.
Donīt you???

What you are requesting here Pablo is, of course, ideal for various reasons, the least of which is to get people quickly to final render.

Presets help, somewhat.

And there is no question that nodal is a powerhouse that lieth leagues under very smooth water.

But the new LW is a WIP right now. As you know, LW is going through, and has been for some time, a major core renovation and reorientation, which nodal surfacing is probably just a fraction of this massive change.

Realistically, most people are not going to expect Newtek to take the route you mention simply because we want them to focus on the fundamental software evolution itself, which is coming along steadily.

So, for right now, the community (and in particular those guys who have a head for programming and physics) is going to be your best bet for assistance along these lines.

I would recommend you start posting question in the Node Library thread and see what happens. Maybe you can start the wheels in motion that may help others out.

*Pete*
11-18-2006, 07:45 AM
im sure, that soon we will have a plugin that allows you to do just those things as you are asking for...something like Worleys G2.

spec24
11-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Is there anyone in the LW community who will be picking up the task of writing a nice surfacing book for Nodes?? Something that will take nodes and put them into real world situations so we can really see what does what instead of looking at mathematical algorithms of how they work? That would be really nice :)

Wonderpup
11-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I believe that Leigh van der byls texturing book is going to be updated to include nodes- but it's not being done by leigh as far as I know. Who ever does get some node stuff out will certainly sell books I think- I know I'd buy one.

Exception
11-20-2006, 10:45 AM
the new nodal system allows for people to write their own nodes.
We've already seen a host of nodes introduced and I am predicting a large set of typical nodes to be ready and organised within the year.
You should also keep a close eye on the lw updates, and Newtek might be having the same ideas as you are.