PDA

View Full Version : Render Farms

gpdesigner
11-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Hello Folks . . .
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction . . .
I am interested in starting a small render farm, just a handful of macs nothing big . . . .
only I haven't a clue where to begin . . . I tried a global forum search but I get an error page . . .
any ideas?
Thanks in advance
gp

paulhart
11-17-2006, 05:05 PM
I have responded to this question in a bunch of postings.
I have been using Amleto for awhile now for large renders, and image animation sequences, with Lightwave version 9. When you set up a job, there is a screen to indicate which series of frames that you want. If you indicate a single frame (begin 2, end 2) the segments box is available below. I break it up so that my poor old slow machines can contribute without slowing the whole thing down. They have a demo for FREE, and the licensing seemed reasonable for my small farm. Check them out at www.nodalideas.com Setup is fairly easy, and I have had a quick response from the author for changes needed.
Of course it does animation just fine, rendering a sequence, picking up missed frames, and if I delete some of the frames from the folder, then request a re-render of the same sequence, it will only do the missed frames, very helpful. ....
Paul

gpdesigner
11-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info paul
I will check into this tonight . . .
gp