PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a Rear End...?

MGuerra
06-14-2003, 07:12 PM
I've been at NewTek for over a year now and I'm just now starting to play around with LightWave. For months, I've opened it, looked at it confusingly, and then closed it. I've asked my fellow co-worker ( William "Proton" Vaughan ) for tips and his response continued to be, "try the tutorials."

Well, I finally went through a couple and find that it's really not as difficult as it all seemed. At least modeling, which is where I'm starting.

Now, what I'm posting here is a major newbie modeling attempt, but I've found a difficulty that I haven't been able to find an answer to. I'm trying to model legs (from the ankles to stomach) of a woman, but can't seem to even get close in the buttle area. I know, the legs are goofy and all screwed up too, but the rear end is really what's beginning to frustrate me.

What I'm wondering is if there are any tips you guys can offer, or possibly some places around the net that might address this. I've looked around for other tutorials, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Here's what I have so far - please don't laugh too hard, I cry easily :(

benhaines
06-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Strange how everybody's first model is either a spaceship or a naked women ;)

Personally I would first look at lots of reference shots... :)

Psyhke
06-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Yep. In a case like this I'd recommend getting as much hands on experience as I could. You know, field research. Really get to know your subject matter...:D

CTRL+X
06-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Hey! her butt is upside down!!!

just cut them buttcheeks off rotate them 180 and paste and merge and you'll (well ,,she....) will have the perfect butt!!!!

WOW I just found somethinmg out,, if you write the word *** in a thread,,, they will censor it,,, LOL god forbid we should speak lanquage

riki
06-15-2003, 04:56 AM
I think you need to alter the flow of the polygons which connect the lower back region to the bum. Try selecting pairs of quads, on either side and use 'Spin Quads'. This might help.

Take a look at these tuts.

Userdelta's Spinshift Video: http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/head/
Joan of Arc: http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Also I think there needs to be a physical gap between her legs. Missing some geometry there. Try hunting around for some wireframes.

MGuerra
06-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'll give em a try. My very first model was a Teletubby-type character and the only reason it looked like a Teletubby was because I couldn't get the butt to do anything.

I finally got it to look ok and look more like a human, so I thought I'd try a real human. Well, this is where I'm at so far. I'm scared to think of how difficult the upper body will be.

I've found some really cool reference photos, so I'll give those a try also. If I get too frustrated with this, though, I may have to take a break and go model a Space Ship! :eek:

hrgiger
06-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Are you box modeling or modling by extending points? I find that while both methods work, modeling point by point is easier for beginners to grasp. It's much easier to get the flow of the polygons to flow the way you want, if you're doing it point by point instead of trying to rough out general broad areas like you do when you're box modeling. Take a look at the Inside Lightwave head modeling tutorial.

MGuerra
06-15-2003, 05:27 PM
I've been box modeling so far, but I may look into the point by point method. I've seen that tutorial in Inside LightWave 7 before, but I don't have the book around anymore, so I'll have to see if I can find a copy.

Since my original post above, I've started a completely new model and it seems to be going a little smoother. It seems the more I practice, the better it goes. Hmmm... what a concept.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Nicodemus
06-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Not to discourage you but the upper area of the chest may present the same kind of issues. It did for me initially.....pushing some points helped to smooth things out and get me where I was trying to go. Keep working at it though.....I am pretty sure if you went back to everyone's first attempts you would find this kind of thing in one of the versions saved.

~L~

Gabe
06-16-2003, 10:27 PM
Here's what I've found about modeling butts. Beveling out the detail as you have seems like a good idea but no matter how hard you try you'll never get them to flow into the legs and lower back like you'd hope. Spinning the quads around a bit can help but in the end that creates it's own problems. So what to do? Don't bevel, just use band saw to slice in a few more lines horizontally in the butt region and then work with that geometry. Just pull the points around until you get a pleasing shape.

Lamont
06-17-2003, 10:01 AM
What you wanna do is flow down the leg, right now you're making peaks:

Lamont
06-17-2003, 10:02 AM
So I did this quick 5 minute mid-section (it's nice and low poly.. for you real-time folks too...) to show what kind of flow you want:

Lamont
06-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by MGuerra
I've asked my fellow co-worker ( William "Proton" Vaughan ) for tips and his response continued to be, "try the tutorials."Dude that's soo damn funny!! Oh man that's good!!

I'm gonna pull that today:

"Lamont, I can't get my network printer to work/I can't rig this arm correctly, can you show me?"
"RTFM toad..."

MGuerra
06-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I know. I've tried to get tips and tricks out of him for months and for every 20 pesters, I may get one tip. Finally, I decided to RTFM and what do you know. It actually helped.

I know my modeling abilities are in very early stages, but for me, it's a HUGE step. I went from making primitive objects (balls and cubes) to something that actually slightly resembles what it's supposed to.

Thanks again, guys, for the ideas. At least I know what to tell Proton the next time he asks me for WEB help!!!

BTW, Lamont, if you could email me the object you created, I'd be very interested in looking at it closer.

Lamont
06-17-2003, 01:44 PM
I sent a PM to ya... or an e-mail... whatever those things are called.

DarkLight
06-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Lamont
So I did this quick 5 minute mid-section (it's nice and low poly.. for you real-time folks too...) to show what kind of flow you want:

You can model that in 5 minutes, I think you spend too much time studying women's mid-sections :D

Seriously, thanks for the low res image there. It's very useful for the model i'm working on at the moment.

Lamont
06-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by DarkLight
I think you spend too much time studying women's mid-sections :D I'm sorry dude, but(t) there is never such a thing as too much. At my old college, the teacher pointed out that I drew the mid-section and butt really well.

Maybe we need a tutorial on making the perfect bootie?

I love to make female characters. So I model and design them the fastest. I hope my new character will be done in time for the "Looking for 12 hot women" thread... and of course she's real-time.

DarkLight
06-17-2003, 04:21 PM
lol...

I agree with you there :D

Lamont
06-17-2003, 04:26 PM
If I write a tutorial, I have to do it with this picture:

MGuerra
06-17-2003, 04:38 PM
That's hilarious! Do It!

MGuerra
06-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Here is my next attempt. I think it's better, but there's still problems. The legs were shaped out real quick again, so don't look at them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lamont
06-20-2003, 09:39 PM
That's good!! That's good!! I like it! It get's the Ladies Man Seal of Approval!!

I am working on that tutorial.. I'm stuck in the middle of getting ready for Siggraph.

riki
06-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Yeaaah I think that's it :)

Gabe
06-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Much better. Like I said in my previous post, beveling ends up being more trouble than it's worth when it comes to butts. You're doing it correctly now.