PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Structure

marlo.steed
02-18-2003, 09:03 PM
The original intent of this image was to design a wall paper image for my laptop. Essentially nothing that sticks out but still be something interesting and eye catching. I have been working on this model for a bit now and before going much further, I would like suggestions for improvement. The top, bottom, and left side are done (I plan to mirror the left side onto the right once it is complete. Then I intend to clone the entire structure back on z axis 3 or 4 times and add a bit of atmosphere for depth. However, before I do that I would like some feedback, on the structures, colors, and lighting. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Rory_L
02-18-2003, 10:30 PM
The subdued colour scheme is very attractive.

I`d persevere and model a unique right-hand wall, though. It`s a tiresome truth, but perfect symmetry isn`t all that interesting!

Keep at it; and give us a screen grab when you`ve installed it.

R

ddeaco
02-19-2003, 04:58 AM
like the model a lot, and i think u should mirror that left side to the right also. try some other light rigs, try get some more intesting shadows

Dave

marlo.steed
02-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Not sure how to start playing with the lighting. This scene currently has one large linear light with two small point lights for the small orange lights. Any suggestions on what might look good here?

Does anyone have source images of dramatic lighting that might be appropropriate for this type of scene?

Do I need to include global light sources (model global light objects) and then make the light appear to come from that source?

If I had an appropriate source image - that might be all I need for some inspiration.

mattclary
02-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Man, I think my biggest problem is lack of patience! I just don't think I can sit there and do all that tedious modeling! :confused:

Matt
02-20-2003, 03:29 PM
very nice, I'd add just a _few_ more of the little lights, and maybe make it less dark in the foreground.

agree about the modelling, I really couldn't be arsed to attempt that, but I'm just lazy!!!

:)

starbase1
02-20-2003, 05:18 PM
The idea for more tiny lights is a good one I think, particularly if you give them lots of specular effect, to emphasize the geometry.

As for inspiration, well, there's no organis stuff in your work, but H. R, Giger has the same sort of gloomy nightmare lighting and levels of detail, perhaps that would inspire?

But don't worry too much, it's coming along well! I'd certainly swipe a copy for my wallper, if permitted! :D

Cheers,
Steve

riki
02-21-2003, 01:57 AM
oh nice one, give us a full screen render when it's done. I ed some new wallpaper. I'm 1152 x 870 :-)

banshee
02-21-2003, 04:36 AM
Riki- are you bragging? I'm only 1024x768 :D

It would make a cool wallpaper. The textures are really good and I like the colors chosen, modeling too. I see 2 options to try for depth and lighting... 1: maybe some "service" lights (like the yellow one streaming down the sides or the ceiling) and a volumetric light at the end or... 2: continue all the way down (maybe fade into black fog to keep poly count down) for depth and create some "breaks" on the left or right side or both with some volumetrics (blueish/reddish/greenish?) to give some more interest in whats around the corner as well as whats down there. Anyway, thats my two cents :) ,back to my corner now.

Neural Riptide
02-21-2003, 10:00 AM
I agree with the others about adding other lights. If you wanted to go a step further, you could maybe throw in an object that has parts of it which glow. Not real bright in color, but just enough to be noticable.

Fantastic work though! :)

lone
02-21-2003, 10:24 AM
excellent idea! looks like the inside of a BORG cube. i'd put it on my desktop (800x600 hint hint).

marlo.steed
02-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Here is my first attempt at lighting (hours of tinkering). I added 3 point lights just outside the structure, ...that may be too much. The lighting shouldn't to be too harsh because if it is designed for a wall paper - it should be background not foreground.

I also added a blue spot light that just affects specularity coming from the back (just to give a hint of a blued light up front) and then a linear blue light at the back to highlight the structure.

I liked the idea of having some kind of lights coming down the side (top to bottom). I will have to play with that.

I agree more small lights will be a nice touch - I will try a couple in the top section to bring that out.

It is too bad that more than half my modleing you can't even see (all the bottom floor).

Matt
02-21-2003, 11:53 AM
maybe just a tad too bright in the foreground now (being really picky now!)

and I love the little yellow lights, add a _few_ more, maybe with some other colours thrown in.

but the thing I like is the focus point is black empty space, it's very aliens and spooky, kind of like, you need to go down there to flick a switch to leave the complex, but you really don't wanna go there because you know there's something nasty, somewhere!!!

:)

Epita
02-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Yeah, being picky too (and doing this all the time) its too light at the front. Go and play Doom I for some insparation on how to light levels or Quake I too. It looks really good though, whats it made out of? Primitives, Boolen, Meta...

Epita

Stewpot
02-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Hi marlo,

How about one or two jets of steam coming out from between the pipework.

Like narrow jets diffusing into the middle at different intervals.

John Fornasar
02-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Marlo,
You stated in your first post that you wanted to clone the model several times for an "Infinite Structure"...
now's the time to do that, and work on your lighting for the full scene as a whole.

As for the modeling on the floor that you can't see - you can try changing the floor to a grate in a few areas, and have light and steam coming from the lower level

Meaty
02-21-2003, 11:31 PM
ooohh ooohh and some moody volumetric lights!

Hiraghm
02-22-2003, 01:54 PM
I concur about the front being too bright now.

I think it would be neat if one of the little yellow lights could be seen waaay off in the black part where nothing else is really visible. Kind-of to give the idea that you're still inside a really really big structure, rather than looking out a tunnel into open space.

I'd like it for my wallpaper too.... 1280 x 1024 :)

riki
02-22-2003, 02:35 PM
hey banshie, haha lol actually my monitor goes up to 1600 x 1200 . eerr I still want to get a bigger and better one though:-)

marlo.steed
02-24-2003, 05:10 PM
This is the latest rendition. Added more lights, cloned it back 3 times (maxed out memory). Added a gray fog.

Comments are welcome.

Rory_L
02-24-2003, 06:48 PM
This is the latest rendition. Added more lights, cloned it back 3 times (maxed out memory). Comments are welcome.
Comment: You`re done! Looks really nice.

To get around the memory problem, you could render the furthest sections first and put that in your background plate when you render these foreground sections again.

Um...When you say you maxed out on memory, do you mean in Modeler, or layout? This doesn`t have to be all ONE object you know! :D

R

marlo.steed
02-24-2003, 08:00 PM
I maxed out memory in Modeler. I tried creating 5 clones and modeler never executed the command (just spun for a long time). I then applied gemloss and then cloned 3 times with better results. Would I get more data into Layout if put the segments into into different objects?

A couple of people have requested steam so I will give that a shot before calling the process finished.

marlo.steed
02-27-2003, 07:32 PM
I have posted the final version in the Finished Gallery section. Enjoy.

marlo.steed
02-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Oh by the way, for the people who took the time to comment, you have dibs on a free copy of the wallpaper image - send me your dimensions and tell me if you are using a PC or a Mac (I will adjust gamma accordingly). e-mail me ([email protected])

smcclurg
02-27-2003, 08:16 PM
How about adding an opening in the background with a bright volumetric light shining through?

It would break up the symetry a bit and a center of interest in the background and would let you tone down the foreground, so it's easier to see icons on top of it.

marlo.steed
02-28-2003, 08:43 AM
smcclurg,

Please explain your idea clearer. It sounds like a good one but not sure what you mean by background. Do you mean have a an opening off to the side like a shaft going to the left or do you mean a light shining through the top structures? Should the light have a color? Not sure how that would make icons show up better but still can see your concern.

marlo.steed
02-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Just tinkering around with the image in Photoshop.

smcclurg
03-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Looking much better!

I was thinking that if you darkened the part of the tunnel closest to the viewer (icons show up better), you could put an opening further down the tunnel - maybe on the right - with a volumetric light. This becomes the center of attention.

Maybe use a "gel" - (still new to LightWave so I'm not sure of the LightWave term) to make the light look as though someone or something is standing in front of the light, hidden from view. I'd make it a colored light, just to add more interest. Doesn't have to be a vivid color, but white probably wouldn't be as interesting. Try yellow - maybe 255/255/204.