PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Images

JohnMarchant
11-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi All, :help: :help:

Does anyone use google earth images as ground image planes for use in aerial scenes. I know how to stitch them together but are there any tools or tricks to make sure that the images are at the same height, angle and such to make sure they stitch well. I know in the pro version you can get bigger images but im not going to pay for the pro version when i could stitch multiple images together

robewil
11-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I have done it in Photoshop. The trick is to make sure your camera elevation in Google Earth is constant when you snapshot the images. I look for a reference point (like a tree or a building corner) along the side where the next image is going and snapshot that reference in the next image to facilitate lining them up.

Jim_C
11-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Just a note that using the free version for profit or anything other than personal use is against the EULA...

fwiw

JohnMarchant
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah i knew that jim, just using it for my own scenes. Is there anyway to get rid of the google logo and such on it. I was hoping there was a way of aligning in google to get them lined up properly, but yeah robewil i will have to do it the old fashioned way :)

Thanks alot guys

Regards, John

Jim_C
11-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Cool.. Sorry... Didn't mean to sound preachy or righteous.

NASA also has it's own Google Earth type freebie...

It may allow for the same thing without the logo.
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

I have read good things about it lately although never used it myself...

Jim

JohnMarchant
11-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Ive tried Worldwind, its pretty cool but much the same as google earth, just wish i could do some big hi res image planes for an aerial dogfight scene easily.

Its ok you did not sound preachy or righteous, and probably to many people forget about EULA and stuff like that.

Cheers mate :):)

BigHache
11-17-2006, 08:04 PM
You can try the U.S. Geological Survey Web site. Also, the Property Appraiser's Web sites for counties sometimes have aerial photography available for download.

Dave Jerrard
11-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Google Maps also has some nice topographic photography you might like. Easier to line up too.

He Who Is Grabbing WorldWind Now.

Jim_C
11-18-2006, 11:37 AM
One of the good things I heard abour Whirlwind was, as opposed to Google's 'what can we beg or borrow' method of finding images, it uses all of NASA's own Sats and images.

Also something about being to overlay real time weather systems....

JohnMarchant
11-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and tips. Dave not tried google maps yet will see what its like. Jim i thought you could overlay other stuff onto google earth.

Thanks alot, Regards, John

Bog
11-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Google Earth does do layering, but not necessarily the type you want, John. Having the edge of the word "DOVER" in 3-mile-long type under your dogfight might put people off ;)

JohnMarchant
11-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks bog, yeah may be a bit of putting LOL :) . Ideally it will be around 5 to 10,000 feet. but because of the distance travelled the ground plane will need to be quite big.

Thanks All

Regards, John

Bog
11-19-2006, 08:59 AM
With Really Huge Ground Planes, I find it's vastly more efficient to have concentric surfaces, with the highest-res imagery directly below, and lower-res ground surfaces surrounding those, and finally a plane with chunky-pixel ground weightmapped out to transparency to blend with the fog maximum.

I may be teaching Granny to suck eggs here, no offence intended if I am!

*edit* If you've got a lot of linear distance to travel, then obviously a rectangular high-res section is better than a square one.

PetrB
11-26-2006, 04:40 PM
There is special software Stitch Maps which scans and joins any Google Earth images automatically.
If required, the result map can be calibrated also.

Take a look at http://www.stitchmaps.com

Regards
Petr

Bog
11-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Ooo!