PDA

View Full Version : Which app is better?

chab00m
11-16-2006, 12:19 PM
What are the differences between the top 3d modelers? As for myself, I enjoy lightwave 8.0 for it's versatility and the fact that it is so easy to use. How does lightwave differ from other modelers like Cinema 4D or Maya?

Signal to Noise
11-16-2006, 12:54 PM
OMFG! Top 3 modelers? Wouldn't that be max, Maya, and XSI?

>ducks<

;)

shrox
11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Max is silly in it's difficulty, Maya can be a pain as well. I haven't used XSI. When I show people how easy LW is to model in, they are often impressed.

Cageman
11-16-2006, 01:17 PM
I can't say that Maya has a good modeler. It lacks alot of easy/fast ways to do relative easy things, lets say, select a bunch of polygons and delete them. You can do that, but it will cause problems later on. So, in short, I think Maya has the least versatile and easy to use modeling tools out there. On the other hand, it is relative straight forward to use Mayas animationtools as modeling tools. This can be done in LightWave as well, but with alot more steps (moving object(s) to/from Modeler). Maya also has history, which makes it good for animating modeling operations, such as extrudes and so forth...

I'm not doing alot of modeling myself, but the guys here really likes Modo, and use it as the main modeling app. They have also tried LightWave and Maya and find Modo to be the most efficient modeling app. But generally speaking, it's really not easy to say what tool is the "best". Alot comes down to personal preferences rather than features. What suits YOU the best will always be the "best" tool for the job. Or, to make it backwards... What tool will do this particular job as fast and easy as possible?

Dodgy
11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Maya for modeling??? ARRRGHHHHH!!

<runs away screaming>
I use it at work and it's work flow is just annoying beyond belief.

Max has quite an extensive modeling tool set, but is really awkward to use I find, and horrendously expensive even compared to C4d.

Modo was written by all ex NT employees, so it's a lot like Modeler, but sleeker and sexier. I'd say you're paying a little much for what I think is a marginal improvement modeling wise, what it will be now rendering/painting is in it, and when animation is added is another thing entirely.

Captain Obvious
11-16-2006, 01:46 PM
modo, Silo, Wings? :D

'course, I never used Silo or Wings... but I've heard good things about them.

KSTAR
11-16-2006, 02:43 PM
LightWave, LightWave with LWCad2.1, Modo

oh yeah Lightwave with Macroforms aligner tool from waaaaay back in the 5.6 days. Still the best aligner tool ever!!!

Stooch
11-16-2006, 06:03 PM
maya has a horrible modeler. IT requires ALOT of customisation to be a good flowing workflow. see nex plugin.

IMO silo is probably my pick, followed by modo and then its between modeler and xsi. I am very excited by the subd painting in silo 2.0.

BazC
11-17-2006, 12:41 AM
modo, Silo, Wings? :D

'course, I never used Silo or Wings... but I've heard good things about them.

Yup, the three of the best modellers I've used. Wings only real drawback is that it doesn't handle big models and the UVmapping is painfully slow. Then again it's FREE!

colkai
11-17-2006, 03:12 AM
Just got myself Silo and I do like how they handle the edge modelling, wishing for something like this in LW before the end of the LW9.X cycle I have to say.

Chris S. (Fez)
11-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Newtek desperately needs to consolidate Modeler's toolset.

Please Newtek:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38153

SP00
11-17-2006, 08:17 AM
I haven't use other 3D apps besides Max, but I can tell you LW is better for modeling, and is faster than max. However, since a lot of the tools do the same things with a small difference, it can be confusing for some newbies. Max tools are easier to understand, but doesn't have as good of a workflow. LW can seriously dominate if they consolidated their tools.

Oh yeah, LWCAD 2.1 is absolutely the best tool ever for inorganic modeling. Snapping is great, onscreen feedback is great, it gives you high precision, and the tools are not redundant.

connerh
11-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I use LW and Silo in conjunction a lot. Silo's just a breeze to use, though LW has some functionality that Silo lacks, such as stenciling, predictable boolean results, etc. Oh, and it has LWCad, which I absolutely love.

Exception
11-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Always fun these topics.
I like a knife and a laser cutter, some butter board and tacky glue.

jasonwestmas
11-17-2006, 06:52 PM
I like Maya's modeler. . .except selecting faces is a pain with those stupid recktanglular selectomabobbers. And having to go to a silly tree menu every time you want to switch between component modes is ridiculous. Of course you can do the same with LW modeler if not better.

jasonwestmas
11-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Um, er learn Zbrush :P

jasonwestmas
11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Actually I hate Maya's menu set all together so forget what I said. Powerful tool, hard to get to stuff. . .

Mattoo
11-17-2006, 07:15 PM
I like Maya's modeler. . .except selecting faces is a pain with those stupid recktanglular selectomabobbers. And having to go to a silly tree menu every time you want to switch between component modes is ridiculous. Of course you can do the same with LW modeler if not better.

The little "recktanglular selectomabobbers" can be turned off so the whole face can be selected just like LW. Also, the F keys are handily used to switch between component modes.
Maya is very configurable and I got it running pretty close to my crazy hybrid Softimage/Lightwave config of old.

lesterfoster
11-17-2006, 07:16 PM
butter board

What is butter board?

jasonwestmas
11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
The little "recktanglular selectomabobbers" can be turned off so the whole face can be selected just like LW. Also, the F keys are handily used to switch between component modes.
Maya is very configurable and I got it running pretty close to my crazy hybrid Softimage/Lightwave config of old.

Thanks for the tip. Just when you think that something is useless, it can be removed.

Exception
11-17-2006, 07:53 PM
What is butter board?

I wish it was thin large sheets of butter. That would be cool. Instead, it's cardboard that happens to have a color similar to butter. It's great for models because it isn't as expensive as museum board, but it's got the same smooth slightly textured finish, and thickness. Only in butter color though. You better like butter (not margerine, nono!)

lesterfoster
11-17-2006, 09:52 PM
I wish it was thin large sheets of butter. That would be cool. Instead, it's cardboard that happens to have a color similar to butter. It's great for models because it isn't as expensive as museum board, but it's got the same smooth slightly textured finish, and thickness. Only in butter color though. You better like butter (not margerine, nono!)
Thank you for explaining that to me. I have rather good hand skills, much better than my LW skills. Where do I go to buy some butter board. I want to try it..

Exception
11-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I buy it at the art supplies store across the street. Which charges 105 dollars for a box of pushpins, because they have an architecture school across the street. So I wouldn't go there. But any other arts supply store should have it too.

jdomingo
11-18-2006, 03:21 AM
the best 3 are lightwave 7, lightwave 8 and lightwave 9

tonybliss
11-18-2006, 04:25 AM
OMG !!!! There is a banana man on my screen :o

I have used 3D max R2 -R5 prior to LW and i can safely say that LW 'feels' alot better than 3d max. Max had alot bettere tools (esp for spline modelling) [non dest contruction of primitives, etc] but the workflow was not as artistic driven as I discovered it to be in LW. I was also trained and temporarily used Maya, excellent tools IMO but again can be a bit cumbersome compared to LW IMO. However I is leyeking XSI ... i am fast becoming a woman ... i mean a 3dliser :)
... but i do LOVE where LW modeler is going :)

cathuria
11-18-2006, 08:02 AM
I believe the choice of which modeler is "best" is purely a personal issue. Each software designer will decide on how to handle the perplexities of 3D creation differently, and the likewise, the brains of 3D artists are each wired differently. The choice is which software works more like you personally want it to.

I started as a 'waver and have always liked the tool... however, I now find that Modo's methods suit me better and have cut the number of hours I need to spend on any particular model by at least a third.

On the other hand, LW still excels in its terrific set of special-purpose plugins such as Rope Editor and LWCAD.
...eh, everything's a compromise.