PDA

View Full Version : fixing non-planar polys

chab00m
11-16-2006, 12:08 PM
How do you fix smoothing errors (nonplanar)? I press w and discover my model has 6300 polys that are non-planar. I don't want to tripple these polys for the sake of preserving quads and also to keep the file size smaller.

Sekhar
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Try LWCAD's Fix Polygons (in ext tab).

liquidpope
11-16-2006, 09:09 PM
If you're subdividing, non-planar polys shouldn't be a problem at all.
If it's not a sub-d model, we'd really need to see the model to know how to help you with the non-planars.
Can you post an image that shows what you think the problem is?

chab00m
11-17-2006, 12:14 PM
The model is subdivided and the satistics window says there are over 6000 non-planar polys and the artifacts are clearly visible. So it is not something I can disquise. Regardless how bad it may look I do not wish to tripple those polys. Is there a way to adjust the flatness of just them polys?

liquidpope
11-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Again, without seeing the model, anything I suggest is purely speculation.
But I'm still betting non-planars isn't the problem.

Try merging points, see if that does anything for you.
Also check for duplicate polys, and 2-point polys. Get those out of there.

Post a dang screenshot! GOSH!!!:D

Simon
11-17-2006, 01:52 PM
If your model is SubD then it's rendered as triangles, the artifacts must be due to something else, perhaps smoothing errors? Does raising the subdivision level help? Do you mean there are artifacts in the render or just in openGL?

RonGC
11-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Check out Flay,com, there are several normal corrector plugins that may fix your problem. I usually use Fi's Normal corrector lscript, just not sure if it works in LW9. Haven't had a need for it lately LOL

Ron

chab00m
11-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Check out Flay,com, there are several normal corrector plugins that may fix your problem. I usually use Fi's Normal corrector lscript, just not sure if it works in LW9. Haven't had a need for it lately LOL

Ron

I try the normal lscript and it says that it fixed 5500 poly but when I check the satistics window it still says that I have 7400 non-planar polys???? Im stumped on this one. I figured that it might be a smoothing error so I increased the subdivision level from 2 to 3 and still nothing. ?????

Hummm.... I wonder if the model itself is the problem. So far, the only models that have smoothing problem were the poser files which I imported into LW8.

liquidpope
11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Here's a silly question or two, and they've been asked already...

Are you seeing "smoothing errors" only in opengl?
Have you rendered the model, and get the same errors?

A. It's not a non-planar poly issue. Forget about the non-planar polys.
B. Post a screen shot, a render, a stick-figure drawing... anything.

chab00m
11-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Here's a silly question or two, and they've been asked already...

Are you seeing "smoothing errors" only in opengl?
Have you rendered the model, and get the same errors?

A. It's not a non-planar poly issue. Forget about the non-planar polys.
B. Post a screen shot, a render, a stick-figure drawing... anything.

OK.... I see if I can get a good screene shot of it.