PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Pro (woe)

gready
11-15-2006, 03:43 PM
New quad 3.0 4Gb RAM GeForce 7300 8.5-LW.

Modeler is displaying points only in all wireframe viewports if anything is selected in a background layer. Anybody else seeing this?

THX
Greg Ready

sonofmickel
11-16-2006, 10:33 AM
I am tellin ya!
Flip that mac over to Win XP using bootcamp. You will be amazed! I have just posted screengrabs of a render test I did on my MacBook Pro.

byte_fx
11-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Ditto what sonofmickel said.

When the UB version comes out then you can switch back if you want. But I plan on keeping both as a hedge against differences between the Mac and PC versions.

byte_fx

gready
11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
I think I agree but something about running Windows on this wonderful Mac is a bit like marrying a supermodel and having an affair with an ugly ex-girlfriend.

Anyway, I have "Parallels" that I will install to run Windows and give it a go.
Thanks

John the Geek
11-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Parallels will be faster than emulated PowerPC in Rosetta, but the Windows Virtual Machine will still be as effective as cutting your new Mac Pro in half, plus there's no native 3D support. If you want a gremlin, run LW in parallels, if you want a big freaky monster then run it natively in Boot Camp.

Then come back to Native Mac OS X once LW 9 goes UniBin. If you upgrade your LW 8.5 to version 9.0 you can beta test the UB version of Lightwave 9.2 soon. The PowerPC beta is already out with the Intel-safe version coming "soon" after.

=)

TomT
11-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Stick with 8.5 or look somewhere else. LW9 under Rosetta is . . . um . . . disappointing . . .

-T

Tartiflette
11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Stick with 8.5 or look somewhere else. LW9 under Rosetta is . . . um . . . disappointing . . .

-T

I don't fully agree with this statement.
Although i'd like to see the UB coming now (or better, 6 or 7 months ago :D ), i must say that i'm quite pleased by LightWave under Rosetta...
Using XP via Bootcamp is 3 times faster than Mac OSX with rosetta when rendering, and that's a huge difference, but in day to day usage, it's more than usable, me think...
It's stable enough if you deactivate the Hub, and the interface is as responsive on my MacBookPro as it was on my last Powerbook. (and i'd say that it's even faster, as are the render...)
In fact, i'd say that i reboot XP only if i have a long render to do, otherwise i work and do all under OSX.

Not to say that i'm not waiting impatiently for the UB ! Chilton, please, hurry up, i can't wait anymore !! :devil:

Regards,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)