PDA

View Full Version : Slackers! Or maybe it's just me....

MiniFireDragon
11-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Ok, Okay... when did this happen?

www.ati.com

Or have I been asleep/have that much of a distasted for ATI that my mind blocked out it?

Or those who report the news on these board slacking?

Hmmh? Hmmm?? which is it?

Maybe I just missed the news on the board. I think I may have become to depended on the boards for news these days... shame shame.

Then again, I have been spending an inordinate amount of time on the board pressing F5 waiting for news on 9.2.

Lightwolf
11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Ok, Okay... when did this happen?

Lol... a couple of months ago?

However, it was made official only a couple of days ago, but the deal was made at the end of July (5.4 billion US$).

Cheers,
Mike

prayforjoejoe
11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah this did happen about 5 months ago. I think its good. In fact, I like ATI because they generally dont have as expensive of cards...that doesnt mean they are the best, but they are pretty good for a cheaper price.

Dodgy
11-15-2006, 05:03 PM
I would have preferred an Nvidia/AMD team up. Best processors and graphics chips that way!

DogBoy
11-16-2006, 02:05 AM
From what I gather the asking price for Nvidia is too rich even for Intel. As it was AMD had to get a massive bank loan to buy ATI.

That being said, I wish it had been Nvidia too :(

Phil
11-16-2006, 05:39 AM
I would have preferred an Nvidia/AMD team up. Best processors and graphics chips that way!

For desktops, possibly - I have an AMD powered desktop, for example. For portables, AMD is getting stomped all over and I have only ever had Intel powered portable as a consequence. The only option vendors appear to have (had) is to wedge a desktop AMD CPU into a laptop, along with such powerful fans that you could use the machine as a leaf blower. Intel's return to form in this area has me somewhat of mixed feelings - I would like AMD to be a legitimate contender for laptops (a growth market compared to desktops), but I'm really happy to have a powerful, cost effective and efficient chip for portables.

I've never really had complaints about nVidia, mind you. Their drivers seem top-notch on both Win32 and Linux and the release strategy seems to be working well. ATI in contrast has a universally bad reputation with regard to drivers; I've avoided their hardware as a result of this - at least until the MacBook Pro appeared. I'll now have the chance to see what ATI can offer for Win32 driver performance and reliability (even I like a gaming session now and again).....at least once I figure out what is causing Windows to blue screen after ~ 1 minute under Boot Camp. :(

MiniFireDragon
11-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, maybe with AMD taking ATI there will be some performance gains in the 3d end of the AMD chips (like the math processing) and a bit more compliancy on the ATI driver set.

I love AMD and Nvidia equipment though. Especially when Nvidia first created the Nforce Chipset. Now Nforce if available for both Intel and AMD. But when those boards were 1st taking hold, they had some excellent performance. So in the end, would have been nice to see AMD/Nvidia together. Lets just see what happens now.