PDA

View Full Version : I need a lot of nice lookin trees....

etyrihje
11-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Pawel Olas Treesdesigner doesn´t come for Mac osc...

...is there another good option for a mac user?

(Still on LW 8,5 btw, upgrading in a few weeks)

Darth Mole
11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
It used to - see if you can buy the old version off him.

Red_Oddity
11-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Or try Greenworks' Xfrog with Bootcamp...it should work...but i guess not a short term solution, sorry..

etyrihje
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
No bootcamp on pre-intel macs I am afraid... My next mac upgrade is nine months away.

Thanks for the tip Darth Mole, I´ve sent an email, hope he gets back to me soon, Treesdesigner looks so smooth, I want it!

If anyone know of any other way to get nice trees in OS X please let me know!

BigHache
11-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Try Onyx Tree (www.onyxtree.com). I've used their software to create trees before and it works REALLY well. They have programs divided into palm, conifer, broadleaf, and bamboo. The interface gives you parameters to 'grow' your plant so to speak. Then you're given the option to export to LWO and even perform poly reduction. Definitely worthy program.

Yacomo
11-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Alternatively to tree generators: There are a lot of fully modeled and textured trees and other plants available at RuntimeDNA and other Poser stores. I find those at RuntimeDNA to be of especially good quality and they are on a 50% off sale right now ;)

Sample: Old Wood (http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=607)

Look for products by Traveler and Transpond.

And another completely different route: Have a look at Vue, if you really need a massive amount of trees ;)

etyrihje
11-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Alternatively to tree generators: There are a lot of fully modeled and textured trees and other plants available at RuntimeDNA and other Poser stores. I find those at RuntimeDNA to be of especially good quality and they are on a 50% off sale right now ;)

Sample: Old Wood (http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=607)

Look for products by Traveler and Transpond.

And another completely different route: Have a look at Vue, if you really need a massive amount of trees ;)

Runtime seems very interesting as a short term solution, and the prices seem reasonable, one question: Do I need poser to make these models compatible with Lightwave, or can I import them straight into modeller?

Yacomo
11-16-2006, 03:00 AM
As long as there is no rigging involved (which is unlikely when it comes to plants), you can easily import them since they are essentially in Wavefront '.obj' format. Just make sure that you use an importer that imports the UV map as well. Be aware that you might have to apply transparency maps manually, or you might end up with some odd looking leave shapes ;)

Even if rigging is involved, you do not really need Poser. The free Studio program from Daz3D (link (http://www.daz3d.com/program/studio/)) does the job of posing and exporting just as well imho.

___mats___
11-16-2006, 10:14 AM
You can also export Vue's trees, and either duplicate them in layout/modeler or use HD instance.

RonGC
11-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Actually the Older version 1 of Tree and Leave designer plugins are available for the Mac i have both and use them whenever i need trees, ivy, bushes etc.

Im Just waiting for Pawel to release the new version for the Mac, hope he ports it as it is one of my essential plugins. why spend good money over and over buying tree sets when with a small amount of time you can produce them yourself for the price of one plug in. Even though version 1 does not have some of the flash new features it is still a vey useful plugin.:thumbsup:

If your a Mac user who plans to buy, contact Pawel to get this plug updated.

Ron

etyrihje
11-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Actually Pawel helped me out ;-)

Now I am deep into modelling...

RonGC
11-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Sweet! enjoy the plugin, Pawel does good work!

Ron