PDA

View Full Version : model archives

chab00m
11-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Where can I find tons of great character models? Is it true there is a usenet group or a secret website that host 3d models?

kopperdrake
11-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Sorry chab00m, to the best of my knowledge there is no great and all-encompassing archive on the net with the hoard you search.

Unless you can show us the secret walk...

shrox
11-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Turbosquid.com is one, there used to be 3Dcafe.com, but they have been showing a new stuff coming soon page for months.

Otterman
11-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Ye know too much!

chab00m
11-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Come on!! Surely, there must be a large stash of models out there? I heard there was a secret internet with tons of stuff. LOL..... Anyway, I'm looking for models that are something simular to proton's models (excellant) but mostly fanstasy based characters like trolls, dragons, wizards, knights well you get the idea.

byte_fx
11-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Good luck.

Most of the best - or even modestly decent - models are done in-house and not allowed to escape.

But - hey - LW's Modeler was used to create most of them.

byte-fx

JamesCurtis
11-19-2006, 10:53 AM
If you are looking for character nodels you can try www.animotions.com [I think this is the right address]. There are lots of character models on the site, props, etc., but they are not native .lwo format. Most stuff there are for Poser. The thing to remember is that many of the models can be exported to LW format through Poser. Also, many of the models are .obj format which can be imported by LW.

There is also www.daz3d.com which also is Poser centric but objects can be imported into LW by the same way as above.

Hope this helps.

chab00m
11-20-2006, 11:28 AM
sorry but iam only interested in lightwave and 3ds models. I can not import cr2 files. Beside poser models have a way too many polys. They may look nice but they are a headache to work with.

tyrot
11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
dear chab00m

actually i should ask what type of characters you want? for arch viz ? or serious animation...

If your need for ARCH viz ..try AXYZ's metropoly's ...there are neat stuff and UV map painting is relatively easy...

BEST

JamesCurtis
11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Poser models are a bit heavy in polys, but you can use LW poly reduction tools to lower the count. I've successfully gone down to 25% or less of the original count with them still looking pretty good!

Just to let you know.

chab00m
11-23-2006, 12:53 PM
dear chab00m

actually i should ask what type of characters you want? for arch viz ? or serious animation...

If your need for ARCH viz ..try AXYZ's metropoly's ...there are neat stuff and UV map painting is relatively easy...

BEST

what is Arch vis? Where is the website and is it compatable with LW8

chab00m
11-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Poser models are a bit heavy in polys, but you can use LW poly reduction tools to lower the count. I've successfully gone down to 25% or less of the original count with them still looking pretty good!

Just to let you know.

Some of the reducing tools work but tend to screw up the mesh. The flow of the polys becomes twarded and are un-workable. What plugins do you recommend?