PDA

View Full Version : imageworld map unseen by camera-how?

Otterman
11-15-2006, 03:06 AM
Im trying out HDR images as an imageworld map to give my model them oh sooooo lovley reflections. My question is though, how do I make the HDR unseen by the camera so it doesnt render.

I know this is possible but cant find how or where to do it.:bangwall:

oDDity
11-15-2006, 03:16 AM
What do you want the backdrop to be? Whatever you want it to be it will cover the backdrop image. If you want it just to be black, make a black sphere and set the diffuse to 0, and in it's properties turn of cast shadows, so your scene will still be illuminated by the BG image.

katsh
11-15-2006, 03:25 AM
my guess.....

the oparation that he want to is,he use imageworld for only image-based lighting or reflection.
so backdrop image is not needed,he want to hide it.

of course he knows how to do same with sky-dome approach. he want more easy way that doesnt need creating dome object and textured it..etc , by using imageworld.

BeeVee
11-15-2006, 03:31 AM
http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/mediawiki-1.4.4/index.php?title=How_do_I_get_ImageWorld_without_th e_image_being_in_the_background

B

Otterman
11-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Simple solution oddity-Just need to check unseen by rays and it does the trick! Im liking BeeVee solution too. But both solutions are workarounds to an otherwise simple checkbox. Cant have it all my own way I supose! Ta guys

Extent
11-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Whenever I need to do this I do it Oddity's way because I like the ease of control. Using the background in compositing is pretty clever though.

Dave Jerrard
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Simple solution oddity-Just need to check unseen by rays and it does the trick! Im liking BeeVee solution too. But both solutions are workarounds to an otherwise simple checkbox. The background technique isn't what I'd call a workaround. It's the solution, and it's doing exactly what you're checkbox isea would do, and more. For example, what WOULD the background be with a checkbox option? Black? White? The gradient backdrop?

Anything in the backdrop tab will render wherever there's no geometry, and it will be seen by geometry - in reflections, refraction, radiosity. The Background Image in the Compositing Tab will replace the backdrop whever it's directly seen by the camera. Its function is to replace the backdrop colors with an image. Just like using a Reflected Image or a Refracted Image can replace the backdrop, or other objects in reflections or refractions. In fact, the same image can be done using that HDR image as a reflected image, and rendering the objects against a black backdrop. The only difference is that this method doesn't allow for the HDR image to illuminate the scene (though there's probably a node setup that could allow different images to shade surfaces like that, allowing different surfaces to be illuminated by different images).

So basically, that checkbox option is already there, in a few places, but it's a little more powerful than just an on-off switch. :thumbsup:

He Who Has Also Asked For A Couple Features He Didn't Know Already Existed.