PDA

View Full Version : hi-res objects

mada
11-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Hi

Can someone please help me with some tips of how to handle large scenes including hi-res object with up to 1-3 million poylys each. With the hardware setup I have today (apple G5 double 2 ghz - 3Gb ram - ati radeon x800 xt) this is nearly impossible to handle.

Is this something that is possible to solve with a diffrent hardware setup?
or what is the key to be able to work at this level of details?

thanks.

dsol
11-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi

Can someone please help me with some tips of how to handle large scenes including hi-res object with up to 1-3 million poylys each. With the hardware setup I have today (apple G5 double 2 ghz - 3Gb ram - ati radeon x800 xt) this is nearly impossible to handle.

Is this something that is possible to solve with a diffrent hardware setup?
or what is the key to be able to work at this level of details?

thanks.

The answer is, I'm afraid, with difficulty - if at all. If you have access to a PC running Windows XP 64-bit edition and a copy of LW64 you might be able to do it. I've done work for a automotive client that needed very high density meshes, and running on a dual 2.5 G5 with 4GB ram LW could handle about a maximum of 2-3 million polys in a scene, but it was slow and very flakey too.

You could try working with low-poly proxies, then swapping out the high res models just before rendering (which you could do using screamernet and not running LW itself to free up as much memory as possible). This is purely a memory issue AFAIK, so once the jump to 64-bit happens in OSX (in Leopard) then hopefully the good folks at NT will oblige with a 64bit mac LW. Though be prepared to invest in more RAM ;)

Chilton
11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi Dan,

Please describe 'flakey'.

I'm working on a performance fix in the UB right now that addresses something I consider flakey updating while moving around a scene, and it may be what you're describing as well.

-Chilton

dsol
11-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi Dan,

Please describe 'flakey'.

I'm working on a performance fix in the UB right now that addresses something I consider flakey updating while moving around a scene, and it may be what you're describing as well.

-Chilton

Um... well this was with 8.5 (or possibly 8.3). I still haven't been able to find a UK reseller for the LW9 update (get someone to email me if you know who could do that - I don't want to pay French levels of sales tax!).

bearing that in mind, the "flakey" I was describing was basically that with a scene comprised of several very-high-density meshes (total polys exceeding 3 million IIRC), Layout was very unstable and seemed to crash with minimal encouragement. I can't remember if I was running with the hub on at the time. Probably was. It was stable enough that I managed to do a few quick single frame renders, but if I tried loading any additional meshes it would bomb out immediately. Fair 'nuff I suppose. Render times were horrendous anyway. We ended up rebuilding all the models by hand, using the original tessalated CAD data as a 3D template, which was painstaking, but gave us excellent final results as well as fast render times.

If we'd wanted to use the original engineering data (IGES files), then no doubt we'd need a 64-bit flavour of LW. Leopard can't come soon enough!

juanjgon
11-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Chilton, one of the big problems working with large scenes is the terrible delay selecting items ... if you have a scene with for example 500 objets and you try to select a set of them using any scene editor, LW freeze and takes long time, even minutes in large scenes, to select them. Selection of single objects is also slow ... perhaps you can fix it ;)

Other incredible slow thing is the presets windows if you store presets in a network file server ... i have a very fast server and Gigabit LAN, but when you open materials presets windows, it take a lot time to show them and all materials workflow becomes terrible slow ... i think that there is something bad in file management of presets ... perhaps you can fix it also :) :) :)

ingo
11-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I have to agree with jj, this is the biggest problem. I now work on an architectural viz scene with an view from above showing all buildings and surrounding with many 3D trees and bushes.

Now i have to add more entourage (like clipmapped people, garden equipment and so on) and i have a hard time to place these things. First i have to move it roughly in block view, than i have to move it very slooooow in wireframe. And than it moves always more than i wanted, so move it back, and on and on and on. The scene has not many polys, around 2,500,000 or so, but many objects/layers.

Is that an OpenGL problem or a memory problem, or both ?

Chilton
11-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Hi,

All I can say right now is: join the open beta group if you haven't already.

-Chilton