PDA

View Full Version : SkyTracer2 and SkyGen

eidetiken
11-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Trying to follow this SkyTracer2 thread http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/33918.html?1036156554
and SkyTracer2 turns completely black when I try to make those settings.

SkyGen just causes Layout to quit.

RonGC
11-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Sky gen just does not work, i dont know as to why this is left to "plugin HE double hockey sticks" i would ike to see this plugin fixed so that it actually works on the Mac.

So far it has been a source of much frustration for anyone who dares to activate it, just to crash Layout.

There are much better ways to quit layout built into the interface.

Chilton, please ask elki to fix Skygen as it is useless on the Mac.

Ron

Chilton
11-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Hi Ron,

Sky gen just does not work, i dont know as to why this is left to "plugin HE double hockey sticks" i would ike to see this plugin fixed so that it actually works on the Mac.

So far it has been a source of much frustration for anyone who dares to activate it, just to crash Layout.

There are much better ways to quit layout built into the interface.

Chilton, please ask elki to fix Skygen as it is useless on the Mac.

Ron

As soon as the UB hits the open beta, we can start distributing our new Universal Binary SDK, and it will make fixing things like this much easier for developers to do.

-Chilton

RonGC
11-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks Chilton, knew i could count on you for an answer, this plugin has not worked since LW8.5, just frustrating to have it siting there not doing anything worthwhile LOL.

Ron

jeremyhardin
11-17-2006, 11:47 PM
FWIW, Skygen isn't some mojo volumetric raycasting engine...it's eki's brilliant usage of the Texture Environment background. You could always just jump in and create your own backdrops with it.

Here are a couple of presets of mine:
http://lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28627

And eki's legacy presets from skygen (a free download from his mailing list I believe) require no plugin attachments and they come with several day, night, and studio presets. They aren't as nice looking as his newer ones, but they're still pretty good and WAY faster rendering than Skytracer. Plus they work on mac.

:thumbsup:

eidetiken
11-18-2006, 12:46 AM
How do you get presets to work without the plugin?

Skytracer2 works, kind of. But the entire background turns black when fiddling with the controls while experimenting, have to close restart lightwave to get it back.

RonGC
11-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Agreed Jeremy, just would like plugins included with the Mac distribution to actually work from the get go. This may mean that the developers actually do a little beta testing themselves and work close with Newtek to,

A) deliver a product that works the first try, or,
B) is reworked with consultation with Newtek and the new sdk to work in a
update shortly after release of LW

Ron

Chilton
11-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi guys,

See, I'm new here. Didn't realize this was one we ship with our app. I'll make sure it gets looked into.

-Chilton

RonGC
11-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Chilton, not trying to be a jerk, but this is one of my pet peeves. LOL

We have a lot fewer plugins available to Mac users so it gets my goat when the ones we do have don't function properly.

Not a personal slam at you or Newtek.

Ron

Chilton
11-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Ron,

You'll be very happy with what we've done for the Universal Binary with regard to this issue.

-Chilton

RonGC
11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Excellent Chilton, waiting patiently, ive been impressed with what's happening so far. The UB version is definately on my want list. LOL

Ron